Food Storage on $5 a week

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been buying more than I need each week for 9 years now. I live quite aways away (aprox 30 miles) from any supermarkets so the storing of food was my way of being sure that I always had what I needed to make the recipes that I like to cook.This habit is now a blessing, because of the big increase in prices. I still keep my eye open for exceptional deals, and always mannage to find at least $5 worth of these to add to my grocery cart. Among my finds this week were: 4 cans of tomato soup for free due to an error in the price on my bill. They would have been .50 each with coupons other wise. 3 free toothbrushes due to a sale and coupon, 4 toothpaste for .50 each due to a sale and coupons, 8 boxes of Dreamfields pasta for .99 each due to a close-out.

My grocery shopping for the items I actually need is almost nothing because of the all the items I have accumulated over time. I am careful to "rotate my stock" so that items do not go out of code before we eat them. I really only need things like bread and milk each week.

eastTNchick

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents worth here :D :

The list is to meant help make sure that you always have the basics on hand so that, even in a pinch (time or money-wise), you could throw something together, even if it is not the most nutritious meal. It's also a way to show people who easy and affordable it can be to stock up on the basics of a good pantry.

If you don't use as much of a certain item on the list, or even don't use it at all, you can substitute something else that week in place of the item listed.

For example, my family does not like boxed mac & cheese, but prefers homemade. I would probably buy regular elbow noodles (or shells if they were on sale) and some cheese (I could put that in the freezer).

We don't use a lot of salt, so I could purchase some spices instead.

The list is meant as a basis for stocking up and keeping a good pantry. The assumption is there that you probably have some type(s) of meat(s), legumes, veggies, etc. on hand.

I've been keeping a decently stocked pantry for the last 10 years, but just in the last year have I finally had the space to keep the kind of pantry that I really want to keep. I love cooking and feeding my family of 5 as cheaping as possible, but also nutritiously. In fact, we prefer to eat at home and not in a restaurant. Most of the people we know can't understand that. Most just shake their heads when we say that we don't want to go out. But, I always have requests for my HM cinnamon rolls and HM apple pie when we have get togethers at church or with family. Not to mention they all LOVE my chicken! I thank God that he gave me the love and ability to cook well for my family. I love sharing my tallent with others.

My friends and family are always in awe of my pantry, as well. They just can't believe that anyone would want to keep a pantry this size. But, while they're spending $600-$800/month on groceries, I'm still spending $400 or less/month for my family of 5. It really does pay off.