Foods you can't eat while pregnant?

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Congratulations! :D

I think if you know where your food is coming from you should be ok, perhaps its a good time to make your own feta! :D

I didn't give up eating my cheeses when I was pregnant, and I love cheese, all kinds.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I stopped eating Banquet Fried Chicken because the smell of the grease that I used in my Fry Daddy made me throw up. I am still holding it against my daughter 32 years later.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
I stopped eating Banquet Fried Chicken because the smell of the grease that I used in my Fry Daddy made me throw up. I am still holding it against my daughter 32 years later.
:lol: I must remember to thank my daughter, the smell of laundry soap made me ill! :lol: I could smell if the person three blocks away was doing laundry! :sick

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Don't worry when my mum was pregnant with me she was travelling across the US with my dad (for some reason?) and threw just about everything she ate, LOL...

Sucks I turned out to be a horrible bratty child too, all that puking for the monster child.

:)

CONGRATS!!!!!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
The only thing I have issues with is eggs... I LOVE eggs, but can't even stomach the thought of eating them. This may be a problem since my chickies should start laying eggs in the next month or so... lol

Figures, I do all that work to get laying chickens and now the neighbours will have to eat most of the eggs for the next little while.

Thanks everyone!

We're super excited, we've been trying for years and it finally worked so I'm attempting to do everything right and not mess this up...

I found a local goat dairy who goes to the farmer's market (which doesn't open until may, but still)... she makes pasteurized feta... so I'm good with that.

I'm making my own mozzarella now, and yogurt (which I eat TONS of)...

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
The only thing I have issues with is eggs... I LOVE eggs, but can't even stomach the thought of eating them. This may be a problem since my chickies should start laying eggs in the next month or so... lol
Yeah but who knows what your tummy will think about them by then. In my pregnancies, I had various very strong food aversions and cravings but many did not last more than a month or two. So, don't write your eggs off quite yet :p

We're super excited, we've been trying for years and it finally worked so I'm attempting to do everything right and not mess this up...
I know exactly what you mean - I was in a similar situation, and was 39 when I got pregnant the first time and was sort of feeling like I did not have infinite amounts of time left for future 'tries' and it had darn well better work first time out of the box. So I was probably a bit more risk-avoidant than I would've been if I had been, say, 20 and already had a kid or two. For me, it was probably not so much concern about risks per se as a matter of, if anything did go wrong, I did not want to feel that I'd been cavalier and potentially contributed to it.

Mind you, I would not say I ate HEALTHY when pregnant, as I deeply deeply deeply craved Arby's Chicken Cordon Bleu sandwiches and their jalapeno poppers, and the only reason I didn't eat them more often was that there are so few Arby's around here :p

I found a local goat dairy who goes to the farmer's market (which doesn't open until may, but still)... she makes pasteurized feta... so I'm good with that.
Woo, that's cool! :)

Congrats, and enjoy your pregnancy (even the unpleasant bits :p),

Pat

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wanted to join in on the congratulations train. Having your first is a very exciting and frightening/anxious time.

As far as the food restrictions went, I only had pasteurized available. Honey was deemed somewhat. Again they preferred it safe. And as far as the lunch meat thing went, I didn't pay it any heed. I was one of those gals that even had a drink or 2 while pregnant.

My preferred food of choice with my son was ice cream. A pint of day helped to keep the cravings under control. With my daughter, I didn't really have all that many cravings and I think that helped me to make better decisions. With her, the few I did have tended to be more fruit.

On a wierd note, there were many times when I would smell chocolate chip cookies baking in the car. I guess some women get that thing (I can't remember the name) where their senses can get all confused. In my case, I smelled one thing and thought it was something else.

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Congrats!! :clap

When I was pregnant with both of my kids, I stayed away from:

*Certain types of fish (due to mercury)
*Alcohol
*Sushi

I did eat some blue-cheese (I had a MAJOR craving for it) and feta, although due to the warnings, I didn't indulge as much as I'd like

I ate lunchmeat a lot! Subway, the sub shop down the street from my work, home...everything turned out fine :D

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Augustmomx2 said:
I did eat some blue-cheese (I had a MAJOR craving for it) and feta, although due to the warnings, I didn't indulge as much as I'd like
Pretty funny, I LOVE blue cheese in anything. But when I was pregnant with my son, my stomach wretched at the smell of it. Once I delivered, I dove right back into blue cheese again! Weird, huh?