Foods you can't eat while pregnant?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
When I was preggers, I could not stand the smell of cooking meat :sick not much of an egg eater either!

I agree with Pat though, that smell thing eased up about the third month.

My big craving all 4 times, Nachos! Bean, cheese, jalepenos, cilantro and lots of guac and salsa! Yummy....:love

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have something to add but not about food. It's a precaution to activities. I don't know if it's medically true or not, but here's my experiences....

When I was preg with DS1, Ma would warn me about reaching for anything over my head---"Don't do it or the cord will wrap around the baby's neck". At the time I was young and heeded her warnings and delivered without a problem.

Then years later DS2 & 3 came along and by this time I was thinking Ma was just spouting old wives tales that had no foundation of truth. I didn't follow the advice and would reach for anything I needed which was usually top shelf.

Results-DS2 delivered with the cord around his neck. And DS3 delivered with it around his neck & tied in a true knot.
We thanked the good Lord they made it safe cause as you can see the potential for disaster.

As I said, I don't know if the reaching really had anything to do with it (though I can see where it would), but it may be something to keep in mind.
Just take really good care of yourself :hugs

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I craved chocolate milk, and same as with Dace, I couldn't get enough fresh pico de gallo, and Mexican green sauce with warm salty tortilla chips...YUM!

Just remember to get your folic acid.

Congrats!!!!!

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As for other stuff...I felt great with all three, never got sick with any of em. I didn't really avoid any foods, in fact if it was considered a food item I ate it-everything in sight :p As for eggs, I didn't mind eating them if well cooked and someone else cooked it. I couldn't stand to see a raw egg in a pan.

DS1-craved watermelon & ice cream-not together so much. At that time I was eating alot of junk usually from fast food places & the junk truck from work-no wonder he now does the same. :/

DS2-ate alot of HOT foods-wings, salsa, meat cooked with "Caribbean Jerk" sauce (even DH couldn't handle this heat). The hotter the better & I couldn't get enough. I also had to have my daily iced mocha from my fav stand cause they used powdered Gheradelli (sp) chocolate mmmmm good. No wonder this kid is wired!

DS3-I ate more healthy foods & couldn't take the heat like before and this kid is my skinny minny-very tall & very thin but eats like a horse. He eats more than his fair share of junk, but he also likes more healthy foods than the others (fruits & veggies)

All three love pickles (a frequent snack) & I have yet to can enough to last us a year!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When my mom was pregnant with me she craved HOT foods... the spicier the better... and I LOVE spicy food.

With my brother, she craved chocolate pudding (she HATES chocolate) and my brother loves chocolate...

It's funny, I don't really FEEL pregnant... I know that I'd be about 8 weeks, and my pants are tight and I think I'm changing shapes... but I've always heard these horror stories about morning sickness and fatigue, and I feel fantastic! I'm walking 6-8 miles a day, mostly eating everything I want (and almost constantly grazing), building things outside, turning over and planting a garden...

I just generally feel wonderful, except that now I'm paranoid to put my hands over my head... lol...

Is double digging a garden okay? :)

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't mean to make you paranoid

If you consider in the past the things women have had to do when preggers, you should be fine at whatever you do. Just pay attention to your body and don't over do it. Rest often and if you feel any discomfort of any kind, stop what you're doing. Heck I chopped wood, hauled 40lb bags of pellets, shovel dug my garden, etc. I didn't let pregnancy get in my way of what I enjoyed AS LONG AS I WAS CAREFUL.

Just remember, every pregnancy is different and you may experience different set of good/bad. As for food, I've always felt if I wanted something there must be a good reason for it--as in cravings are to fill a physical need, if you will.
Some women get sick & swear it's the worst time of their lives while others (like myself) never felt better. Exercise is always a good thing & may help alleviate some problems.

Another thought, it's common during later pregnancy to become clumsy prolly from being big & not seeing all obstacles :rolleyes: . Also, make sure you get plenty of vitamins. It's common to become anemic.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
If you consider in the past the things women have had to do when preggers, you should be fine at whatever you do. Just pay attention to your body and don't over do it. Rest often and if you feel any discomfort of any kind, stop what you're doing. Heck I chopped wood, hauled 40lb bags of pellets, shovel dug my garden, etc. I didn't let pregnancy get in my way of what I enjoyed AS LONG AS I WAS CAREFUL.
I was a little crazy when pregnant, with my son I kept on riding the dunes in the desert east of San Diego till I was around 6-7 months along, I did take it a little easier than normal. (ie, no hill climbing on the bike!)

:D

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I am pretty sure it has been well-demonstrated that the 'no reaching overhead' thing has no medical basis. Hard to imagine how it could make a difference anyhow, as the kid is pretty well packed in there and your uterus doesn't change shape from reaching overhead (certainly not NEARLY as much as it does from some other things, like getting down on hands and knees). Personally I wouldn't worry about it ;)

Be GLAD you don't have morning sickness, it is the PITS. I had it pretty much throughout both pregnancies, as well as 2 unsuccessful pregnancies. I am now *much* better at barfing efficiently than I ever was before, but I'd'a rather not learned LOL

Pat

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
I was a little crazy when pregnant, with my son I kept on riding the dunes in the desert east of San Diego till I was around 6-7 months along, I did take it a little easier than normal. (ie, no hill climbing on the bike!)
Wholly crap! :ep

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
old fashioned said:

I have no intention of stopping horseback riding, even though that's one of the things on all the lists of 'what not to do'... I'm obviously not going to run a course of 4 foot jumps on the horse, but I see no reason to stop light riding in an arena. I read somewhere your sense of balance changes at 5-7 months, so I will stop then... but not for now.

I'm enjoying hearing everyone else's experiences... it's interesting to see how different what is essentially the same process can be for each and every person.