For SavingDogs - N's tail * graphic dont look * update

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I'm a rule breaker! :woot

It doesn't look gross! I hope the poor baby heals up soon. :)

And the "little girl" isn't so little anymore!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I looked and I am even eating lunch!!! :p Honestly it does not look that bad. I think because it runs the length it will heal nicely. I had a cat who's tail was gouged down to the bone, nerve and whatever else is in there. They wanted to amputate. Not good.

That is not Kai!!! That dog is huge, where did the little pup go?

g

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's not nearly as bad as I imagined :) I'm sure it was awful right when it happened though.
Kai is soooo big! What a sweetie.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Poor cat! Goodness! And I didn't think the pics were gross either. I think raising children does a lot to get you over the grossness of injuries. :D

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
My goodness, I'm late for the tail-sniffing party! I was out cleaning rabbit cages, lemme wash my hands before I touch that cat's tail!

But seriously, I think it looks great. The hair being gone makes it look dramatic. The only thing that jumps out at me is gosh, they left those sutures long. I've never seen that and I've seen many surgeons (10 vets probably?). I don't know why that would matter though, but I've just never seen that. I see where they are worried about the sluffing...see where the tissue looks a little black? The integrity of the tissue was probably "compromised" there. But that area is small! Even if it sluffs off they can get the tissue to heal by "secondary intention" which just means it takes longer and the skin in that spot never grows back hair. You probably wouldn't even notice.

It isn't so bad! I think it looks GOOD. It looks a little scabby but just leave that alone. Sometimes the vet will carefully soften those but don't do anything yourself.

IS HE WEARING AN E-COLLAR? DID THEY GIVE YOU AN E-COLLAR? ARE YOU SNEAKING LETTING HIM NOT WEAR IT?

It is very important that he not chew it or lick it. Sometimes they get the urge to do that about day three after the injury. I've had surgery myself and about day three your sutures feel itchy and annoying. So that is when he would be more likely to scratch it or be annoyed with it....tomorrow. If he is not wearing an e-collar you need to supervise him very closely. Animals are individual about it.

If they did not give you an e-collar, they may have observed him not bothering it. For that much money you should be provided one however. There are really soft comfy ones you could buy and then you'd have it for whenever your cats need one. If that were my cat, he would be wearing one. A very very good vet I respect once told me that any animal with a wound or bandage should wear an e-collar if possible. Period. Preserves their work and prevents further damage. I could describe what some animals do to their wounds but then everyone WOULD lose their lunch ......but just one example is we saw an animal chew off it own tail that had an injury. It had to be amputated! It was a crazy neurotic dog and not Nicholas the Great with The Paw, but.........many return trips to the vet after this kind of thing could be prevented by just having them wear that annoying thing. You can put an e-collar on your cat on the way TO the vet after an injury as well, to keep them from biting themselves, so they are good to have.

Hope that helps, but relax...it looks fine.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
How old is that puppy? Looks huge! What do your sheps weigh? Looks like she is catching up. Is that Ti on the left?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
gugh! you weren't supposed to look! hee hee i shoulda known you all would be the first on the scene! ha!

i KNOW isnt Kai huge?!!? she's our monster pup! i can't believe she got so big so fast. and of course she is eating us out of house and home. she's lost a few teeth tho so she didnt want much yesterday. so its double the amount today. she's like that little kid "may i have more please, sir? just a little."

so i think we are taking Nicholas back in today... of course i jinxed it. i went to check on him and i think he pulled a stitch out. and he's really flipping his tail around like he is cross. and i was reminded why i dont like this vet...grrr.... so we'll see. (no there isnt a doc available, no i cant talk to someone on staff, no they cant give meds without seeing him, no i cant bring him right now, no they arent flexible with times etc).

if i dont like their findings i might take him to our better but not available off-hours vet.

i know i'm one of 'those' patients but the vets who are willing to work with me either like the challenge or are happy to see someone invested in their critters.

sheesh too bad them goats dont get the same treatment! ha!

he: hey i think that goat lost an eyelash
me: well, get the gun and shovel and its "too bad for her"

so kidding. its the nerves people....

UGH!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
oh thanks SD! our posts crossed in the night!

i'll make them.. i mean.. i'll ask for a collar. and yes the teasing alone will be worth his bad attitude for it.

and yes that our pup! can you believe it!?