For SavingDogs - N's tail * graphic dont look * update

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well those stitches are so long I can see how they might catch on stuff, especially without a wrap. Where I worked most recently, we wrapped tails after this kind of thing and had the client back in two days to rewrap and check it. Maybe that long suture technique is a Ohio school thing, I've seen west coast doctors mostly trained at WA state Univ.

You could CERTAINLY go to your regular vet at this point. Emergency vets are used to people switching back.

Feel free to do that if you feel more comfortable....it is YOUR cat.

Don't worry about being one of "those" clients......get what you want out of the visit, that is why you pay for their time and advice.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
thanks baby... really. i think my blood pressure went down about 57 pts...

and heh heh heh.. its usually not the vets/techs but the office staff that have a grind with me.

i once stared down a receptionist who told me i missed my appt (by about 8 mins but they knew i was coming from over an hr away in traffic - which i told them when we booked the time). finally i told her to "tell him its me" and 2 mins later we were ushered back. and he was very gracious but i'm pretty sure that shiny red sports car was purchased from all my visits! so he knows how to keep a good customer - ha!

*back to fretting*

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Popping a stitch could have happened because of that tissue integrity issue they mentioned as well. They may not be able to add a stitch very easily at this point. Sometimes a staple works better and is quick.

They might just leave it alone. I don't see anything gaping in your picture at all.

See if they can send you home with some Metacam if you go in. He is probably swishing his tail cuz it hurts.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yup, I showed up a day early for an appointment with Gunnar and lifted him up and showed his swollen-and-about-to-'splode anal gland to the receptionist....who fortunately recognized the ticking bomb and RAN to get the vet, ushering me to an exam room where he could 'splode where SHE wouldn't be in the splash zone.... Hee-hee....$900 later.....yikes.

Poor Nicholas looks like a 'possum!!! But it looks great.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
'possum :lol:

Don't tell the Mouse Czar Mighty Nicholas who rules with an iron paw that!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
ohmigosh.. Teddi Grumpkins is running for the bedroom where Nicholas is incarcerated! she'd better not call him a possum!!!

TEDDI!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Yup, I showed up a day early for an appointment with Gunnar and lifted him up and showed his swollen-and-about-to-'splode anal gland to the receptionist....who fortunately recognized the ticking bomb and RAN to get the vet, ushering me to an exam room where he could 'splode where SHE wouldn't be in the splash zone.... Hee-hee....$900 later.....yikes.

Poor Nicholas looks like a 'possum!!! But it looks great.
Now THOSE are gross!!!!!!!!!

People would board their dogs with us so that they did not have to deal with their dogs in recovery after that....the smell is almost impossible to get out of things.

We just did everyone's anal glands yesterday. My name is savingdogsmud to them today.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Yes, he will be the butt of all jokes. He need a tail warmer after it heals, with your cold temps!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hee hee hee well i couldnt stop her. looks like its gonna be a long nite.

we laughed when the vet said that hypothermia would be a problem... we wouldnt unleash our Nicholas on this unsuspecting world.. he's inside only.

but i guess we could put a sock over it.. hee hee hee nope dont think that would work. he's just gonna be Nicholas O Possum Tail

;-)

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our emergency vet won't even do follow up visits.... you go to your regular vet Mon - Fri during business hours.
My vet is the best ever, it's a shame you are so many states away ;)

The Monday after Thanksgiving '09, I ran over Buford (yes, the dog who was 13 at the time, yes with my full sized Titan pick up truck). I guess he was walking beside it and fell - I have no idea how he ended up laying lengthwise in front of / under the rear tire. Anyway - it was right in the middle of their lunch hour, I called on my way and there was a vet waiting by the time I got there (less than 5 minutes).
He was completely fine - no bones broken, no internal injuries, no shock. They call him the "Teflon Don" now. :p