For the raw milk supporters....

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You guys are awesome. I finally got a chance to do my own letter and I addressed a little of what was in Abi's reply letter (pointing out that farm-to-consumer raw milk sales have nothing to do with their business, so this is nothing but a strong-arm tactic). I'll let you know if I get a response.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I got an answer on their Facebook page:

We understand that raw milk is important to you and many other Organic Valley consumers. We're sorry that you've decided to take the action you have regarding Organic Valley products. We hope you'll reconsider.

If you've taken the time to read through the various threads here on the Organic Valley Facebook page you'll know that our sboard of directors struggled with the raw milk issue for about a year, but in the end they voted the way they did because raw milk has never been a tenet of Organic Valley's mission, we're simply not equipped to support raw milk sales.

You are correct that all Organic Valley members signed a membership agreement that promises 100% of the milk they produce to the cooperative. On-farm raw milk sales to consumers conflicts with the membership agreement, and the board of directors' recent vote was a simple affirmation of that existing contract.

Organic Valley members who wish to serve the raw milk marketplace are free to do so outside of membership in the cooperative, and there will be some who choose that path. We believe that our decision may create more more opportunity for organic raw milk sales, and we'll be very pleased if that happens.

Thanks for allowing us to comment!
Their corporate line. Vote with your wallets, folks!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
"since we can't make money on it, neither can our farmers"...

i see.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
This is very frustrating!! I buy "Private Selections" pastured butter. Does anyone know if it is an "Organic Valley" product?

Oh, I just noticed it has a website listed on the box, www.interamericanproducts.com I think I will look it up.

I am writing a letter tonight!! This is ludacris!!!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Shoot. I just had to go look at my refrigerator to see what brand we buy. Yup.

My letter:
We currently buy your milk and half and half because it is one of the few organic brands in our local Hannaford's supermarket. We also live in a state, Vermont, that allows farmers to sell raw milk from the farm with a state license. I feel your decision to not do business with farms that sell raw milk directly to consumers like me who want this product is short sighted, at best. The demand for local food outweighs the desire for "organic" food as currently defined by our government. I will support our local farm over your corporation, and will from now on be buying our half and half and milk from our local coop, not from the supermarket.

Not that I think they will care. I tried to explain to my SO about the watering down of the "organic" label, and that a lot of "organic" things in the supermarket are still corporate inventions. Local is better than "organic" anymore.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Right, I buy raw, whole milk from a local dairy. It is not organic. The cows are treated naturally and ethically and they are pastured. (They are owned by a family and all have names for goodness sakes!)

I would much rather get raw milk from a local dairy (trying to be as natural as they can) than a huge conglomerate that sells expensive "organic" milk/dairy. Especially if they screw anyone who wants to buy raw milk in the process. :/

I wish I was as good at writing letters as you guys are!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
yeah, BBH! give them the business! and include:

"what next are you gonna buy your milk from china?!!"

and

"no farms, no food (and then call them names)"

;-)

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Unfortunately, my SO is afraid of actual raw milk. I have talked her into home made laundry detergent, home made soap, home made yogurt, and now, home made ACV. Milk is just a longer process- so we still buy "organic" milk and half and half from the store. :(

Someday I will have the time to make cheese- then I AM using raw milk and I'm not telling her! :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Just do some research on www.westonaprice.org and print out some articles for her....or a youtube search for some lectures by Sally Fallon (Morrell now.) It took me a while to get brave, too, and I had to do my own research. This included visiting dairies within an hour's drive that sold raw milk. Unimpressed, I got a goat without knowing if I would be able to tolerate the milk. The rest, as they say, is history!