For women only please!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Although I don't get mine (on the depo shot) I was thinking that maybe using cloth diapers as a base, or even as the soaker...then you could soak them in either mild bleach solution and wash, or however you want to clean them....just a thought.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have been looking into the diva but have not decided yet.

La Banan

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am seven years past having a period but in the last five or so years I used The Keeper - a rubber cup that you use over and over. I was very very happy with it and it is expensive initially but way cheaper than buying plugs and pads over the long haul. The other neat thing is you end up knowing alot more about your body and your period by using one - that will have to be self explanatory...
jan la banan

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
Would you mind posting a pic of your homemade ones? I am one of those people who need visual aids, sorry. :)
Well, I'm not quite finished my new ones, and I WON"T show you my old ones, so if you don't mind waiting.... I need to have these new ones finished by around the 25th, if you know what I mean...
Oh yes, I will wait! ;)

I have heard of The Keeper, just wasn't sure I wanted to mess with putting a cup there, ya know?

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here is a good pattern for some.

http://manymoonsalternatives.com/make_your_own_pads.php

I think I will make my own to use as liners. I would rarely trust them for full coverage for myself.

I've been using the Diva for a while. I was icked out about it at first. But, it's no weirder than using a tampon. I will say, the first time I used it I thought, geeze that was so complicated, I don't know if I will ever be able to do that on a regular basis. But by the next day, it was so easy that I love love love it. Would never go back. I have some hormonal related weirdities that cause me to need one for three weeks or more at a time, so it is saving me seriously hundreds of dollars a year. But I won't bore you with all that. LOL

Here is a very good article about the cup: http://crunchychicken.blogspot.com/2008/09/divacup-drops-environmental-ball.html

The writer, a big fan of the cup, is expressing her disappointment at some policy changes the company has made. Just so you all have both sides of the issue, I thought that was a good read.

Cassandra <wondering if that crunchy chicken is our crunchy chicken from BYC>

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Keep the sites & ideas coming ladies as I am getting a good idea of what i need to do now.
Thanks!!

SproutGirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Natural sea sponges work great as tampons, although they are awkward to clean if you are out and about. One remedy is to keep a clean, empty film canister or other small container in you purse. You can put the used one in that to clean up at home, and have a new one on hand to use. Sponges are great because they are very soft, and you can shape and size them however you like. Even if you only use them at home, you save a ton of money and wear on the planet.

The Diva cup is cool, but I swear it makes my cramps worse. It is also awkward to clean when you are out and about.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Ok, on the sponges, how do you remove them? Do you buy a large one & cut it to the appropraite size & shape then to make multiple ones? And I would assume you let it dry out after you clean it & use it again, right? Never thought about that idea. Good one. I am in peripause & my cycles are horrible! So the sponges sound like a great remedy for me!

Latest posts