For women only please!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
Ok, on the sponges, how do you remove them? Do you buy a large one & cut it to the appropraite size & shape then to make multiple ones? And I would assume you let it dry out after you clean it & use it again, right? Never thought about that idea. Good one. I am in peripause & my cycles are horrible! So the sponges sound like a great remedy for me!
I bought Jade sea pearls - its kinda a brand name

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Hey crazy chicken farmer-- (Quail :D) Did you get enough visuals, or do you still need to see pics of mine? I have them finished, but dh took the camera hunting with him.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I had made mine out of diapers. I cut some into thirds and others into fourths, so I'd have different sizes. I zigzag stitched the edges and embroidered some. I have a friend who dyed hers. Another friend made hers out of flannel. We just folded them to the size that felt comfortable. They stayed in place without attachments. The panty seems to hold them in place. I bought myself a few boycut panties for nighttime, they held the larger pads in place better. I purchased some cheap make up pouches to store clean pads and ziplock bags. When I was out and about, the used pad goes into the ziplock bag and then into the pouch.
I felt that they were a lot more comfortable than the throw-away storebought ones. Once I started using fabric pads, I could never go back to the other kind.

chicknwhisperer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think I might try that way from now on. I have a couple of the boy cut panties as well and that makes sense now that they would help hold them in place and it does sound alot more comfortable. The store bought ones always irritated my skin so I don't use them even when I want to becasue of that.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Denise I need to buy some undies so I will get some of the boycuts & I was leaning towards flannel but the diapers is a great idea, I will see if I can find some of those too. I am determined this last batch of store bought is my last ones. I will check on the sea sponges too for the really bad days(2).

Ladies thanks so much for all the input & info. These ideas will help to save me at least $8/mo & that adds up over the course of a yr($96 at least-wow never added it up before like that) from going in the trash!

chicknwhisperer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I really need to get to the store and get the stuff to make these as well. It would save me so much hassel.

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I don't have enough good to say about http://community.livejournal.com/diy_pads/. They have photos, tutorials, experts to ask for help, you name it.

Also, if you go find someone who sews homemade diapers, you may be able to get cheap or free PUL scraps that are too small to make into dipes. I got some for free and many of them are big enough for mamapads. Honestly, though, they're not necessary for anything other than the heavy flow days.

You have my sympathy, btw. Kid1 I got 7.5 months of LAM. Kid2 I got 8.5 (even though I was bfeeding TWO, I only got an extra month off!) but with kids3 and 4, I didn't miss ONE SINGLE CYCLE!!! Talk about cheated??? And I was counting on LAM for BC. :( NFP is great once they sleep through the night but it's more iffy before that.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well I spent a day and made myself some homemade pads. They are made with 6 layers of flannel and have a snap to hold them in place with thier wings. I made two types...ones that go into a removable cover and ones that are just all sewn into the cover...I don't think I want to be trying to mess around with covers all the time. Anyway they turned out great and I am soon going to have the chance to try them. Hopefully they will do for me...I mens very heavily...like extreme heavy. If they work for me they will work for anyone! My sister asked me to make her some too...

Here's the one with the removable cover...sorry didn't notice that big thread hanging there:>) LOL!

2361k5.jpg

and this is the "all in one pad"

2v30kgk.jpg

farmer2B

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
This is a great idea I never thought about. I, too, would like to try this, but what is PUL???

And what a cool website I just "discovered!" :)

Latest posts