For women only please!

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good grief this site is full of surprises! (Just came over from BYC) I had never even thought of making my own, and I work in a fabric store! We carry rubber sheeting, which is water-proof, at JoAnn's. It's expensive, $12.99 per yard, but wouldn't you only need it for the under part? So just a few small pieces? Maybe only one foot ($4.33) would be enough to make enough, based on the pattern that was posted. And like I posted on BYC, there are always coupons.

It's too bad I just made a Costco run for pads, and am stocked up for quite some time. But I do have lots of flannel, so I could give it a try. How well do they wash? I've never dealt with my... Bodily functions... Just thrown it away, lol.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Having used cloth pads for many years, I have gone through different aspects of washing them. If I am alone in the house, I put the used ones in a tub filled with water until I have enough to bother washing them. I then rinse out the pads and use the "dirty" water on the flower beds. I soak and rinse them again, then wash them with regular laundry using bleach.
When I live with people who are uncomfortable (are grossed out) by a tub of soaking pads, I just put them in a tub (no water) out of sight. I keep them seperate, so I don't stain anything they might come in contact with. I then do a seperate load in the machine with just the pads. I wash them a second time with regular laundry.
I hang dry all my laundry including the pads.
I used to work on getting them to look real nice and stainfree, but I have long since given up on it. I just use them as long as they work, then throw them out and make new ones. They last for many years.
I use store bought pads under them sometimes, for instance for extra protection at night, or when I go out. The cloth is still next to my skin. A bag of storebought still lasts at least a year.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I keep the used ones in an ice cream pail with a lid filled with water and 1/4 cup of homemade laundry detergent until wash day. Then I simply rinse them and throw in the wash

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I found a spaghetti storage container at the discount store for $1.25, and it has a two-piece lid, one part has a strainer and the other part is solid. It is perfect for soaking, I can dump the soak water in the toilet and flush. I soak with vinegar and baking soda or homemade oxy-clean.

I took a clearance-rack cloth placemat and made a tube to cover the container, and folded the top and tacked it. It looks like a toilet paper cover. It lives behind my toilet. My best friend didn't notice it when she was here all day.

I used quilter's flannel from Joann's, it is heavy and soft, and I used the brown paisley so I wouldn't have to look at stains. I bought a piece of cotton quilt batting for the inside. Each on a separate trip with a coupon, of course!

I got one yard of special waterproof fabric online (PUL), that was the biggest expense, and I ended up not using it. My flow isn't that heavy, and as long as I use two layers of pads my first day or two, I'll ok. I wouldn't use rubber, it will not stand up to repeated washings.

I have started making them for friends, along with incontinence supplies for men and women. Now I will be using the PUL for the heavier needs. Be sure to use a different fabric for the backing so you will know instantly which is the top, the absorbent side, especially for older people with vision issues.

I thought I'd use my stash of store-bought ones when I travel, but they still sit in the cellar. I bring a ziploc freezer bag and am good to go. I would never go back to plastic pads!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Right now I am using dollar store terry washcloths.(3 for buck) I have made some, but all I do now is fold up a wash cloth--(one colour, so I know to keep them separate from other wash cloths in the house.) I just fold them up and put in place. They don't move, they don't irritate me like store bought ones did, and they are super absorbent. I don;t worry about leaks like I did with pads. I recently made new ones, but so far I like jsut folded up washcloths. I keep an ice cream tub in the bathroom with water and colour safe bleach in it. rinse, soak, rinse, then wash in the laundry.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, find something to soak them in, check. I'll probably collect flannel remnants, since I won't need big pieces. And most certainly get a hold of some of the PUL, 'cause... Well you know. :/ I'll have to remember to post here once I've tried it.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I found a spaghetti storage container at the discount store for $1.25, and it has a two-piece lid, one part has a strainer and the other part is solid. It is perfect for soaking, I can dump the soak water in the toilet and flush. I soak with vinegar and baking soda or homemade oxy-clean.
Freemontion, can you tell us how to make homemade oxy-clean?

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
Good grief this site is full of surprises! (Just came over from BYC) I had never even thought of making my own, and I work in a fabric store! We carry rubber sheeting, which is water-proof, at JoAnn's. It's expensive, $12.99 per yard, but wouldn't you only need it for the under part? So just a few small pieces? Maybe only one foot ($4.33) would be enough to make enough, based on the pattern that was posted. And like I posted on BYC, there are always coupons.

It's too bad I just made a Costco run for pads, and am stocked up for quite some time. But I do have lots of flannel, so I could give it a try. How well do they wash? I've never dealt with my... Bodily functions... Just thrown it away, lol.
Welcome Hennypenny, we are all about being as self sufficient as possible over here & saving all we can. So this just fits right in. I plan on getting mine made real soon, need to get pul first to put in them. Picked out the material from my remenant pile.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It is the recipe from other threads on this forum. Here is keljonma's quote:

keljonma said:
I posted this earlier in a discussion about peroxide.....

Homemade Oxy-Clean
1 cup hot water
1/2 cup baking soda
1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide

Add 1/4 cup to wash load. Soak clothes overnight if you're removing old stains or blood.