For women only please!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Here is a link to a site that sell PUL fabric.
http://www.diapercuts.com/store/WsDefault.asp?Cat=OuterDiaperFabric
PUL is poly urathane laminate....waterproof fabric. There are also some people on ebay that sell it...but make sure of the cut size before you order most of it is not a full yard. 2 mil is the best. I have also heard of using baby changing pads...the kind that you lay on the changing table...they are supposed to be waterproof also. I have only seen them once at Goodwill (and I did not get them :( ) But, I know that Target sells them and the price seems pretty reasonable.
I have not been able to find PUL fabric in any stores around here. Expect to pay around $8-$9 a yard for PUL.

It says on the Diapercuts main page that she is only open until Dec 24th and then she is going on maternity leave.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Well I spent a day and made myself some homemade pads. They are made with 6 layers of flannel and have a snap to hold them in place with thier wings. I made two types...ones that go into a removable cover and ones that are just all sewn into the cover...I don't think I want to be trying to mess around with covers all the time. Anyway they turned out great and I am soon going to have the chance to try them. Hopefully they will do for me...I mens very heavily...like extreme heavy. If they work for me they will work for anyone! My sister asked me to make her some too...
Those are really pretty. Try using micro-fleece as a top layer, its SUPER soft, stays dry - allows wettness to go through. Its my favorite.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I vote Diva cup.
I second that vote!! I have had one for over a year...ok for over a year before I got pg over 6 months ago LOL! DH picked it up for me at the local health foods store.
But, I still would like to make some homemade pads for the time after the baby comes and I am still to sore to use the Diva cup. And for the last couple days of my cycle when it is light. I am hoping I have extra PUL fabric from making cloth baby diapers.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Well I spent a day and made myself some homemade pads. They are made with 6 layers of flannel and have a snap to hold them in place with thier wings. I made two types...ones that go into a removable cover and ones that are just all sewn into the cover...I don't think I want to be trying to mess around with covers all the time. Anyway they turned out great and I am soon going to have the chance to try them. Hopefully they will do for me...I mens very heavily...like extreme heavy. If they work for me they will work for anyone! My sister asked me to make her some too...

Here's the one with the removable cover...sorry didn't notice that big thread hanging there:>) LOL!

http://i33.tinypic.com/2361k5.jpg

and this is the "all in one pad"

http://i37.tinypic.com/2v30kgk.jpg
Morel have you used these yet? How did they turn out? Is there anything that you would change or do differently?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I have used them...they are very comfortable, and they feel dry...which surprised me:>) And after soaking them in 1/2 cup of the homemade laundry detergent and water they didn't even stain. But I would definitely use the PUL fabric in them the next batch I make.
I also tend towards the "all in one" pads...not the ones with the removeable cover.
As for the fleece idea...I wouldn't use fleece only because fleece is made with recycled plastic water bottles...not something I want 'offgassing' in that general area of my body:>) Flannel, on the other hand is a more natural choice.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
As for the fleece idea...I wouldn't use fleece only because fleece is made with recycled plastic water bottles...not something I want 'offgassing' in that general area of my body:>) Flannel, on the other hand is a more natural choice.
THe dry feeling beats out anything else for me.

I would like more info on the "off-gassing" of fleece. I wear it ALL the time, ok not ALL the time but alot of the time in winter. Right now I have fleece pants on, and I have a fleece sweater I'll put on if the temp in the house drops any... I wear a fleece hat somedays as well.

Are you not concerned about the PUL? I would imagine its just as "toxic" as fleece right?

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Morel! I will keep that all in mind when I make mine!! I definetly want to make AIO's instead of a pocket. A pocket seems like to much work and a possible mess.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
MorelCabin said:
THe dry feeling beats out anything else for me.

I would like more info on the "off-gassing" of fleece. I wear it ALL the time, ok not ALL the time but alot of the time in winter. Right now I have fleece pants on, and I have a fleece sweater I'll put on if the temp in the house drops any... I wear a fleece hat somedays as well.

Are you not concerned about the PUL? I would imagine its just as "toxic" as fleece right?
I haven't actually read anything about fleece offgassing, I just know that waterbottles are made with #1 grade plastic...which in turn means that they contain the most petroleum. The heavier plastics use less petro so are regarded as safer plastics. On the bottom of every plastic bottle is a grade 1-5. The PLU I have not looked into, but it will be the bottom layer, so not right against my butt...I guess maybe I am just fussy... I hate the fact that I sleep on a bed made with memoryfaom in the top layer...same reason...and I know they offgas!

greenrootsmama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I wanted to chime in about AIO vs pockets. Whether it's feminine pads or baby diapers, AIO's need to be washed a couple of times at least depending on the thickness and may require more drying time than pockets. I started making pockets after my last baby was born but became pregnant again before I actually used them. :rolleyes: The pattern I used (which I can't seem to find now) uses waterproof nylon for backing but I think PUL might be softer.