For women only please!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
StoneBridge Farm said:
ok so I just ventured over from BYC, I am LOVING this site! And I love this topic! I tried the Diva Cup, but it would cause me to cramp. But I LOVE this idea.. I am so making some!:clap

Here's a thought... ever hear of those sham wows? I wonder how those would work...they are supposed to last 10 years.
Sham WOW! that just might work!!!!!

Welcome!!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
What is sham wow? Is that one of those synthetic chamois?

For me, one of the major reasons for using homemade pads is to get the hormone-like substances used to make plastics flexible AWAY from my body. We absorb a lot of this type of thing through the skin. I suspect that is why so many women report a dramatic reduction in cramping and a shortening of their period and reduced flow with cotton pads. My period was cut in half, really! The first time I used cotton pads. Hmmmm.....

So I only use 100% cotton flannel or towels, or bamboo towels, and cotton quilt batting for the stuffing. The pul is tolerable to me when it is encased in all that cotton, although I don't need it for myself with my greatly reduced flow, so it is not in any of my pads. I do use it in the incontinence sets I have been gifting.

Just another thought. I know many use fleece and other synthetics, but give it some thought and research. It is no more work to use cotton. A flannel pillow case and a cotton bath towel will likely give you all the pads you need.

EweSheep

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Now that is a super duper thing to have for the pads! (sham wows)

StoneBridge Farm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Question....

Please tell me how to assemble these lil' buggers. Does the flannel go on top... put whatever inside and PUL on the bottom? Please let me know. I have all of the material and would like to get started before next month. :ya

Carolyn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
the sham wow might work, but remember the fluid is trapped in the fabric, so it will absorb, and the fluid can "squish" out also. something else to think about is that it is a microfiber and if the "fluid" dries in it, it might not come out and sometimes it creates an odor that is hard to get rid of. You can use micro fiber towels from the automotive sections in Walmart or Sams or other automotive places. People who use them in diapers(always inbetween other layers of fabric, not against the skin) have problems after a while getting odors out of them. I am finishing up about 200 "mama pads" and some cloth diapers for a project in Africa using a few of the free patterns. I don't know if anyone wants to see them--I am taking pictures for my sewing and diaper forums, if if is ok, I will post pictures when finished. I used what I had--some have flannel with organic cotton terry, or suede cloth or some have old towels folded. some have organic bamboo velour, fleece all with PUL backing. I will look up the sources to post with the pictures. Carolyn

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Carolyn- Although I've mostly finished my pads, your first sentence made me squick! We'd love to see pictures! I posted mine already. The PUL was the best purchase I made, and the only non "natural" thing I've used.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
StoneBridge Farm said:
Question....

Please tell me how to assemble these lil' buggers. Does the flannel go on top... put whatever inside and PUL on the bottom? Please let me know. I have all of the material and would like to get started before next month. :ya
Yes. I put another layer of flannel on the bottom, but this probably isn't necessary. It IS necessary if you use velcro to apply them directly to the underwear, to which you also sew some velcro. I may just make a set like that for myself, they are so popular.

Depending on which style you are making.....if they can end up being put on upside-down by mistake, be sure to use a different color fabric top and bottom. The pattern with the pointy wings is an example. Pads without wings that are used on top or as inserts are another example, if you use the PUL in those.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
StoneBridge Farm- The ones I made (posted on page seven) have the outside pad made of just cotton, and the insert is made of flannel and on the bottom is the PUL. Like Freemotion said, it's a good idea to make the PUL and flannel different colors, so that you know for sure what side to put towards yourself. But there are many different styles you can choose from, just tinker with it, and it'll work out!

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Carolyn - I would like to see what you have made. I'm thinking of jumping into the pad foray. Ever since I got this IUD (non-hormonal), my "visits"have been CRAZY!! One time it won't be hardly anything and the next it's like Niagara Falls have a new home. I can't stand this IUD but it's better than an unplanned pregnancy.