For women only please!

StoneBridge Farm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok.. so the sham-wow.. was a passing thought.

Are the microfiber towels those ones that they advertise to soak up extra water? I was thinking flannel on top, something inside..I kinda likes the pocket idea... then PUL and I liked the flannel on the bottom again. I was also thinking about making the bottom a plain material so I wont mistake it. I doubt I will do velcro...

Do the snaps on the wings work? I kinda thought I liked that better.

Thanks for all the advice!!!:pop

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have diaper inserts that are microfiber and they do stink after a while. I've used just about everything on them to try to get rid of the smell to no avail. It was actually one of the reasons we quit using them.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've got a few chinese and indian prefolds and they don't keep the smell as much but (maybe I'm more sensitive than most or maybe it was the soap, Charlie's Soap) there was still an odor after a while. Whatever you use, do NOT use fabric softener as it will coat the fibers and over time the fabric will not absorb as much. I learned that the hard way after a couple of leaking diapers. I had to strip them all with dishwashing soap and HOT water... a couple of times. I've heard of some folks that have washed them in the dishwasher. I'll hold off on that as a super last resort as I'm not altogether fond of the idea of dirty diapers in my dishwasher.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have been very happy with cotton quilter's flannel (very heavy cloth) and either thick cotton or bamboo towel or cotton quilt batting inside. The two people I made them for love this, too. Very comfortable and no smell.

I put them in water with vinegar and baking soda to soak, I have also put soap in a hurry in the soak water....shampoo once and dishsoap once....real hurry! It worked just fine. I wash them in the washer with homemade laundry soap and white vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser. Love it.

For me, the snaps aren't quite enough, I have to pin them in front so they don't work their way back as I walk. I could just make them longer, probably, but....a safety pin on the outside is easy.

For this reason, I plan to make a set of undies with velcro and a set of plain, unwinged pads with velcro. Those are the easiest pads to make, btw.

Carolyn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Have you stripped the diapers? I have heard that sometimes helps with the odor of the microfiber. We used cloth diapers for my DGS #3, but I made inserts and soakers separately, so if there was an issue, I could make new inserts. He is 3 1/2 now and potty trained. I used cloth for all my children except the last one and we interchanged cloth and sposies. She had many breathing problems and was on many meds that reacted with her urine and the town water so when I used cloth diaper, I washed time in the washer, then rinsed them in distilled water, sometimes boiling them in the distilled water and always line drying. My older 2 were in cloth even though sposies were available. But I used plain old Birdseye prefolded and Curity cotton that I folded myself. When some of these young mothers complain about cloth not being absorbant enough and are looking for more absorbancy because they can use sposies and only change x amount of times a day--I shake my head to myself--change the diaper often--I think of all the garbage that sposies create and the chemcals in the sposies that can be absorbing into the body--ohh I am soo long winded I know--and I get carried away, but I think of all the people--including very young children that have cancer and many health issues. Don't know what causes the problems, but using all the chemicals and junk even in our clothes makes me wonder.

Carolyn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
OHH the meds DD#2 was on--I didn't like them, but had no choice so she could live. I tried to use everything else as natural as possible. Carolyn

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Carolyn - I've stripped them... many times. I just don't know what it is. Either way, she's 18 months and if I ever get a completely free weekend again we're going to try potty training her again. She thought it was great fun sitting on the potty chair last time and lately she's been into saying "bye, bye peepee" with our son. We're trying to help him get over a fear of his toilet (not any other toilet, just his; he has been potty trained for over a year).

We were using Charlie's Soap but I may try the other stuff (can't think of the name right now) or Sportwash next time. Maybe, it's the water. It was weird though both of my kids would get horrible rashes from barely any urine in the diaper and if they pooped, it was even worse and usually with blisters. I think maybe they were reacting to the detergent itself. We have a front loader and I was using charlie's soap with 1/2 cup baking soda in the wash and then in the rinse cycle I added vinegar to the max mark on the softener cup. I always used 2 rinses. It's the only ever that I wished I had a top loader.