Foraging for Food- The weed identification thread.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Number 6:
okay, the plant on the left is just an iris, but what are the weeds center and to the right?
943_iris_weed_weed.jpg

Is this one the one that is edible sunsaver?

Miss the north, this one is three plants, the iris is the grass-like plant (will bloom soon) and I believe we have now identified "bleeding heart" as the one on the right and in the background, and sunsaver is referring to the weedy looking plant in the middle as being the spinach type plant, correct?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Number 7:

Is this a weed? It is in full sun in an area where prior owner planted things
943_is_this_a_weed.jpg

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Number 8:
We have been calling this "mountain ash"...and I'm referring to the plant towards the top, not the arbor vitae in front of it.
943_is_this_mountain_ash.jpg

Is it really mountain ash? It gets a fragrant white bloom and it is in the midst of turning to a red berry that birds and livestock love. My goats love eating this plant. Chickens love the berries.

S

sunsaver

Well, i see some prickly lettuce or maybe dandelion in th upper left, but that big thing in the middle with the multi-lobed leaves is a new one to me. Ive never seen that plant in my part of the world. Chances are that it's very bitter or slightly poisonous, and so the goats have learned to stay clear.
It's not on my list of most deadly though. What i like to do is take a nibble and spit it out without swallowing, just to see what the flavor is: bitter, sour, mild, or aromatic. I've nibbled on every weed in my area.
I haven't come across mullien yet, so i'm not sure if grows here in the deep south.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Number 9:

We have lots and lots and lots of this stuff. Livestock don't eat it.
943_lotsa_this_stuff.jpg

There are really three weeds here that look similar, some of this is mullien blended in there. There are two other weeds too, some are the number 10 plant in their second year.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Number 10:
I have tons of this junk too, goats and chickens don't eat it. It is easy to weed at least. It gets really tall the second year and is really invasive in full sun.
943_some_sorta_lambs_ear.jpg

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Number 11:

Here is another plant I have everywhere.

943_this_is_all_over.jpg

I think it is the same plant as shown on the far right in the picture with the immature iris.

I kind of like this plant but the livestock do not eat it.

Consensus seems to be Bleeding hearts?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Number 12:

Here is another plant I like, very pretty. You might call this our signature plant, it pretty much covers the hillside (where there are not nettles!)
943_white_flower_plant.jpg

Is this one chick weed? Those flowers are actually pale pink and look rather white here.

Another guess is miners lettuce?

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Isn't that last one a bleeding heart? Try looking up pics of a fernleaf bleeding heart and see if that is it.

Sorry it's the one before last now! Lol

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Number 13:

This one starts as a shrub but grows to a small tree. The goats love this stuff. Sometimes it grows out of stumps of other trees, and it seems to like shade. It can be quite attractive.
943_same_as_tree_by_road.jpg

Consensus: Snowberry