Foraging for Food- The weed identification thread.

S

sunsaver

Okay, the one with the iris on the left, that's prickly lettuce which is bolting. It will have yellow flowers followed with white tufts of fuss just like cultivated lettuce. The small leaves in fall or early spring are tender and good in salads. I eat it all the time. Not sure on the mountain ash. It doesnt grow here. Okay there were two prickly lettuce photos one after another. My slow connection keeps popping up more photos. We need to number them to make ID to photo matches less confusing.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Okay, here is the last one!
Number 14:

943_two_weeds_middle_one_prickly.jpg

Thanks everyone! That should give us some weeds to discuss!

Consensus:
Per sunsaver, this is russian thistle "The purple blooming thistle is Russian or "bull" thistle. The hollow core is delish, and tastes much like it's relative, artichoke. The white ones around here are very aromatic and not good to eat. The variegated one is milk thistle, and can protect the liver from toxins."
Rebecca thinks that this could possibly be used for rennet.

S

sunsaver

Yeah, if it's not too much trouble to go back and number them, SD, i think it would help others who might want to join in.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I couldn't tell from the pic if that one(earlier) was mullein or not. I think mullein has fuller leaves. At least mine do. Are the leaves really fuzzy and soft. Like you would rub against your face? Does it have yellow flowers?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Okay, I'll go back and number them all, sorry, that was dumb. Give me a minute to accomplish that.

S

sunsaver

That last one is very familiar. It might be medicinal. I'll have to get out my field guide before i go crazy! You've got some strange looking herbs growing in your garden, SD. Thanks for the pics!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
I couldn't tell from the pic if that one(earlier) was mullein or not. I think mullein has fuller leaves. At least mine do. Are the leaves really fuzzy and soft. Like you would rub against your face? Does it have yellow flowers?
Some of them do have fuller leaves. That is a younger one. I don't remember what color the flower is but I think you are right, yellow seems right. They are not very pretty though.

S

sunsaver

Are the prickles on number 14 very sharp like sowing needles? have you seen the bloom? I think it is a thistle, but here are many types.