FORD, didnt take our money and opening a new plant!!

Reaction score
dacjohns said:
I know this thread is about cars but look at Walmart. It used to be American, now it is Chinese. Buy American means don't buy from Walmart.
Remember when Walmart had that commercial showing Americans all over the country? Doing things like eating hot dogs and apple pie. Then they said they sold American only and support America. When you went in the store there were posters everywhere that said made in the USA. Guess those days are gone. I don't know if they have anything made in America anymore. They need to put out a new commercial showing Chinese people doing Chinese things in China. Then show 12 yr olds working in the factories. Then show some execs counting big piles of money. Makes you wonder how much things would cost if they were made in the USA. Probably not that much more. There would just be a lot less bottom line profit to go around. If prices were too high the stuff wouldn't sell.

By the way even the Canada and Mexico stuff is still made in America. As in North America. Japanese cars made in the USA are employing American workers but the parts are made in Japan. they just assemble the parts her. The majority of the profits stay in the Japanese economy. As has been previously stated on this forum the labor cost for cars is only around 10-15% of the cost. The only reason a small portion of the Japanese cars are assembled here is to make Americans feel like they're supporting their country when they put money in the pockets of overseas corporations.

America cars have come a long way in design and quality. They were doing quite well before oil was driven up by speculators. Unfortunately they were busy building cars that Americans wanted, mainly SUV's and trucks. When the gas crunch came last year and all the experts were saying there was no end in sight and gas would be 12.00 a gallon by 2010. People couldn't getrid of their SUV's fast enough. The only people that kept them were upside down or actually needed them for family or job. Sales came to a screeching halt and the only cars Detroit had to offer that got good mileage were a bunch of lackluster entry level cars so the foreign guys did well. Then came the recession and everyone is sucking wind now.

Chevy being number one is just my opinion. Everyone knows what Ford stands for and it's not First On Race Day. Just kidding, They make a good product. I just like Chevy's. Leftover from my 1st car a
66 Chevelle SS.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Don't get me started on another rant about the junk they are shoving down our throats now....and I agree 1000% that the trucks built 20 years ago were darn near bullet proof and EASY-PEASY to work on!!

Lupin......wait until your nice shiny new Ford truck needs it's first tune up at 100,000 miles(if it is a gas powered truck)..........The spark plugs grow into the heads so tight that most of them break off in the head when you try to remove them. Ford has developed not one, not two, but THREE tools designed to help you get the pieces out! And the Ford Diesels? The Powerjoke? Built by Navistar International (which USED to be International Harvester) to Ford specs,which means as cheaply as possible,and that makes them prone to breakage. That is why Ford and IH have been suing each other over the 6.0 diesel. THAT one was a real joke, but even the 6.4 that replaced it has had it's share of trouble......like the potential for diesel fuel or oil in the DPF(diesel particulate filter) causing a higher than normal exhaust gas temperature. In other words, FIRE in the exhaust!!! :ep :ep
Meh, they're all disposable these days... Our focus needed a new altenator at 3 years old.

Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Just so you guys know............DODGE is the ONLY truck or car ever built.
:plbb :plbb :plbb :plbb :plbb

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL264/2074170/8320605/111707272.jpg
DODGE was the only car I ever beat consistently with my Chevelle. Of course back then they were all boat anchors. I did love the Challenger and Barracuda though. Vanishing Point was one of my favorite movies.

I have been driving Caravans for 8 years now. They are company cars and we keep them for 50K before we get a new one. I go through one every 16 months or so. They average about 3 to 4 trips to the dealer for warranty issues. They need front rotors and pads every 14-16k. The rotors are to thin to turn so they just have to replace them. Had the same issue on Stratuses. Don't know if that's just a Dodge issue or if all the cars are like that now.

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The big 3 US auto makers have had 30 years since the last oil crisis to make a line of fuel efficient smaller vehicles. A line of vehicles, not a single model. The Japanese companies succeeded because of extreme hard work, engineers sleeping at their desk like Bill Gates working on Windows, overwork, loyalty to company etc...
these guys work 6 days a week, get 5 days off at new years, 5 days off in August, and maybe 12 national holidays, plus all the OT they can handle, well.. not anymore......

The US makes great work trucks, period. I've had a great Canadian made GMC Sierra, a true refrigerator of an automobile. The old 350's were great as well as the straight 6's, But how many lemons my poor parents bought, finally my Dad bought a Subaru, never fixed the thing.

I've got a Daihatsu Hijet 660cc 4WD microvan, it is tough, 80,000 miles of abuse, fire roads, wood hauling , only replaced brakepads and exhaust, now they come with Stainless Steel exhaust pipes. 10K$ new, 30mpg and 4WD. It's not meant for Interstate cruising at 80mph, but for county roads at 50. Sure won't pull a horse trailer though.

1acrefarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You can tell me the so called foreign stuff is better all you want but I don't buy it. the small Toyota trucks share an assembly line with chevy S-10s. You have mazdas coming off ford lines. Fords coming off Mazda lines. Chrysler and Mitsubishi have shared many lines. If two brands share the same assembly line you cannot expect a quality difference. My old ford truck is still hauling wood at 39 years old. I killed my Toyota truck in 8 years. They don't make a decent vehicle anymore. Parts usually cost more for those foreign engines too.

Reaction score
I'm an auto insurance appraiser. It's amazing what body parts cost on a Tundra. Did a deer hit last month that took out most of the front clip and the cooling system. ran 13,200 to fix it.

I like the old trucks myself. You can swap out an engine or fix anything in your garage. As long as all your hoses, belts and electrical wiring is ok they are real reliable. I had a 67 Chevy 1/2 ton with a 289 that had water in the oil from a head gasket leak. It had the 2 speed automatic. My wife wrecked our 71 Caprice that had a small block 400, so I kept the salvage and put the engine and trans in the truck along with the radiator. Everything was a straight swap except I had to have the driveshaft shortened. That truck smoked the tires and ran great. You can't do that kind of stuff anymore, unless you're a guru with the right equipment and it cost a fortune. Then you have to worry about emissions. I'm not in to cars anymore, can't afford it.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
With regards to the Tacoma recall - you may think that was a benevolent move on Toyota, but the reality is they blew it badly and the impending class action lawsuit was going to be huge. We had a 98 Tacoma that the frame failed on - it literally was folding in half. Yes, we did get almost $12K for it, but not before they messed with the Kelley Blue Book value and went up $3k on a new Tacoma, which put a replacement out of reach. So we ended up with a Camry and a loan for the remaining $6k. We went from a truck we really loved, paid in full (cash) to a seed pod and having a loan. I suppose you could say we were lucky, I would prefer to still have the truck, 4-wheel drive capacity and no debt. But that's just me.

I have a Ford Ranger that I expect will last me another 200K miles. Yes, it's a Mazda internally, but I'm very happy with it. I won't buy non-American brands. I realize all the international stuff that goes into a car or truck, I just won't support foreign companies. Hubby bought the Camry.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
With regards to the Tacoma recall - you may think that was a benevolent move on Toyota, but the reality is they blew it badly and the impending class action lawsuit was going to be huge. We had a 98 Tacoma that the frame failed on - it literally was folding in half. Yes, we did get almost $12K for it, but not before they messed with the Kelley Blue Book value and went up $3k on a new Tacoma, which put a replacement out of reach. So we ended up with a Camry and a loan for the remaining $6k. We went from a truck we really loved, paid in full (cash) to a seed pod and having a loan. I suppose you could say we were lucky, I would prefer to still have the truck, 4-wheel drive capacity and no debt. But that's just me.

I have a Ford Ranger that I expect will last me another 200K miles. Yes, it's a Mazda internally, but I'm very happy with it. I won't buy non-American brands. I realize all the international stuff that goes into a car or truck, I just won't support foreign companies. Hubby bought the Camry.
We were going to buy a Ranger because even it can pull a small horse trailer, but my dad was too big for it! he's 6'7"

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
We were going to buy a Ranger because even it can pull a small horse trailer, but my dad was too big for it! he's 6'7"
Ha! You should have seen my truck the one time we all went out in it (for whatever reason, I can't remember now). Hubby is 6'4", 275 lbs, driving. YS is 6'5" ( thin and all leg) in one jump seat, OS is 6' even, 210 lbs, in the other jump seat, and little ole me riding shotgun. That truck was definitely freighted that day! :gig Of course the two riding in the extended cab weren't all that happy! :lol:

It definitely would have hauled that horse trailer, especially if you got the hauling package.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Blanket statements like foreign vs. others just doesn't work with me. I have had Chevy trucks in all the families and friends cause we prefer them cause of the low problems with them and mileage into the 200,000 easily. Tony's now has close to 150,000 and is perfect with usual maintenance. There is interest in the subject for them and the Big Three do make great vehicles. Plus everyone is chatting from their "one" bad experience with a certain model vehicle. You just can't say these vehicles are not long term lasting vehicles.

Yea throw out all the stats about vehicle problems and you will see all have their particular problems, you have to compare usuage and more to me when talking about maintenance problems....One persons Sunday drive 7 days per week in a vehicle is not the same as that truck or car being worked 7 days per week in a different manner too.

I also have owned great Nissans, great Toyotas, lousey Ford truck but a great Ford Taurus, a great Mazda, an alright Dodge truck and always wonderful chevy trucks.... and so on....

I always heard if you got a truck or car made on a late friday afternoon or early monday morning that one will be a lemon...HA HA HA...regardless of who makes it!