foster parenting

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Firefyter-Emt said:
Woops, I just fixed it.... I love the way the photo came out. That was taken by my wife at a DCF Apple Fest that they put on for the kids and foster families at a farm here in Connecticut.

That is my holding baby Michael btw... :cool:

Even though we live in a rural area of Connecticut, we do draw from the city area as far as Norwich. Because of this, we do get more placements. I also suspect, that the foster family is "profiled" to match the children, which is not a bad thing, and even a good thing, but it could explain the gap's in placements. We are "open" for any race or gender with DCF, but if a better culture match can be found, it's less traumatic on the child.

But as to the void.... I know it quite well. I would love to say in a week or so it's gone, but it seems to hang around while we are waiting for the next one. :/ But, the void does seem to fill up with the next placement and we look fondly back at them. It's odd, with all the training and involvement that goes on with a placement, you kinda feel odd... like an outsider looking in when you are just a "normal family" again. :lol:
And here I thought I was the only one around here in CT!!
We have friends who did foster-to-adopt. They've had the twins since they were 3 months old. They are not the same race as their children. I was amazed at how long the process took! And a little frightened by it. I think the kids were 5 before the adoption was finalized. It's always been my plan to foster in the future but DH is not there yet. It took him several years to be ready to adopt so I'm confident that some day we will both be on the same page.

Firefyter-Emt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
:D You are not alone at all, it seems like the "slow work on the spouse" seems to be the normal.

And as I type, the baby is just starting to fuss and my darling wife just went to get him.

Latest posts