foster parenting

ByHisGrace

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I was a foster parent from 1998 until 2007 when our last foster child's adoption was finalized. We didn't keep all of them, but we were mainly classified a "long-term to permanent" home because of our willingness to adopt if it became possible.

I agree with everything Pam'sPride said about the process, though the reimbursement is different in our area (we don't get quite so many "perks"). Here if you adopt a special needs foster child or a sibling group, then you continue to receive your monthly payment that you were receiving when they were foster children until they are 18.

On the discipline issue... I never had a social worker come out and ask me if we spanked our children. They did give us training on alternative forms of discipline and advised us that foster children shouldn't be spanked. Then the social worker herself said, "I'll tell ya right now, I spank my kids." Of course she wasn't speaking of foster children, but in this area it is kind of a "don't ask, don't tell" issue. After we had children in our home the only question we were ever asked about it was, "What kind of discipline do you use?" My response was that we mainly use time-out or loss of privileges.... which was true... we reserved spankings for when the children were being completely out of control or willfully disobedient to a direct command. As long as our foster children were thriving and well-adjusted there was no reason for concern. They never asked them if we spanked them either. I felt like I had a higher moral obligation to raise them properly, and IMO that includes spanking only when necessary.

Having said all that, I think you have to go on faith about your own situation. We didn't have any other children in the house when we first were foster parents, and all of our foster children came to us as babies. So our children had no reason to "tell" on us. The had not been physically abused before coming to us, and no reason to feel physically abused with us, so it was fine. If you speak with some foster parents in your area they may give you a better perspective of how prying the social workers are there. There should be a foster parent support group organized by your local dept. of Human Services. Surely they would let you sit in on a meeting to get some insight before taking the plunge yourself. We understood the risk we were taking by not abiding by that rule about discipline, but if it ever became an issue we were confident we were not doing anything that could be classified as abuse. If anything, we were demonstrating our love for the children. Discipline seems to be less of an issue here in the south, since we seem to hold fast to the old way of doing things.

If you truly have a heart for helping the hurting children here in our country, I must encourage you to follow your heart. It will not always be easy, I guarantee you that. But it is so worth it. Our world will never be a better place unless children are given the unconditional love and security that they need to become confident, productive adults.

My best friend has 6 adopted foster children, and she struggles. But I feel that is a situation of her own making. However there are some pitfalls to avoid. For example I agree with the post that said to foster parent children who are younger than your own. There is a very real dynamic related to birth order whether they were born to you or not. Also be sure to ask lots of questions about the situation and biological family from which the children come. Not only will it give you insight to potential problems with the child, but it will also help you decide if that is a family situation you want to get into. Remember there will be visits periodically with the biological family in most circumstances. We only had to deal with visits with our oldest two who are twins. The other two had no visits with biological parents, so they were easy. Once we had twin 3 week old baby girls who had been physically abused. We nursed them back to health and fully expected to be able to adopt them. Later the social worker talked the aunt into taking the babies because it made it easier for visits with the biological parents... i.e. the social worker wouldn't have to take the babies for the visits any longer, since I refused to do so. There was no way I was taking them to see the two people of which one or both had physically broken 5 bones on each baby. So after three months of bonding with these babies, we were heart-broken. It turned out for the best though, because we found out later that the mother of the girls left her husband whom she blamed for the abuse and she was given back custody of the girls when they were about 2 years old.

One of my dreams is to someday have a working farm and big 'ole house, so I can adopt teenage foster children and teach them about how life and relationships should be through working on the farm. There's something about real, hard, productive, physical labor that makes you appreciate what's truly important in this world!

Sorry... I'll take a breath now and let someone else share! ;)

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Did you catch your breath yet Stacy?? I would love to hear more about what you have to say!

There is definelty a different attitude about spanking here. My social worker came right out and asked my kids how they get disciplined and they said they get sent to the corner!! And DH and I are definetly spankers!!

Going to the Solas Center for my niece and two nephews for visit my sister was a PITA!!!!! It used to tick me off that she would not even show up for half of her visits and it was a 45 minute drive for me to take them there! She also only completed half of her case plan and still got the kids back! 7 days after she got the kids back I found out that she got an eviction notice!! Yeah, the case worker did her job checking that one out!!

Stacy, twins?? I would LOVE to get twins!! I would also LOVE to adopt a family of 5 or more kiddos! (It is an illness I know!) But, I can handle that many kids and it is not fair to break up a family and most people only want to pick and choose ONE child out of the sibiling group...mostly they just want the baby. Breaks my heart! But, my DH will not do it! My DH mostly will not do it on account of finances espcially after he lost his job and took another job with a huge pay cut. He really feels the financial pressure some days. Even though we are financially better off than most of our friends.

ByHisGrace

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Does your DH realize the financial help you get from foster parenting? I wish more people had your attitude about it. I am in agreement with you. I know that I will adopt more someday. I have often said that if I had the room I would take 20 of them! So many people view foster children as unwanted cast-offs. People don't realize that these children grow up to be adults some day. We should invest in their lives now so that when they are grown they won't become the kind of adults that put more of a burden on society.

I have very strong feelings about the issue. I understand that foster parenting is not right for every family and every situation. There have even been some scandals locally with some foster parents who had several special needs children in their home that they were neglecting. So IMO those of us who do have the patience and a heart for children (I hate the phrase, but what I mean is "other people's children") should do all that we can to make a difference. You know Pam, maybe you could volunteer at a local boys or girls home. Get your DH in on it. That will def. get him to come around. Actually that is what my DH and I did before we became foster parents. We worked two (paid) weekends a month at a boys group home. All of them were medicated for dif. reasons, and most of them were sent there by a court order. We fell in love with those boys. OMGosh I can't tell you how my heart hurt every Sunday evening when we had to leave. You get to know everyone's story. And you get to feel their pain. And you get to see their victories. It is so amazing. All they need in the world is someone to believe in them. O.K. I'm crying now... I'll get off my soap box.

I just encourage you to keep on hoping that your DH will come around. Tell him that you will have more mouths to feed, but also more hands to work, more arms to hug, and more hearts to love! Every time we got a new child in our home my DH said, "Now we're done!"... until the next call came.:love

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I honestly believe if someone walked up to us and asked us to take their children and DH knew what kind of life situation they had he would not say no. I also say our finances were better when we had my sister's three kids! We only got $300 a month in ADC for all three kids...not the $600 per child like fostering.
I think some of my DH's problem is he wants to have a 'life'. He wants to take vacations and buy big ticket items and sometimes and he always feels like we do not have the $$ for it. I have tried to explain to him that if we got a sibiling group of three that would be $1800 a month...that would double his pay!! (Trying to appeal to his financial provider side.) We already have a van big enough to haul that many kids and if we had $1800 extra month coming in we could afford to move to a bigger house! Although we could easily fit three more kiddos in our house now. I just want some more babies to love without having to be pg!!
He has been through all of the classes with me. I think one thing that holds him back is the spanking issue because he is a spanker and he thinks he will get in trouble if he spanks them and he (we) are not going to change our position on the spanking issue.
Someday....I will do it! I am only 29 so I still have 10 good years to talk him into it before I start feeling like I am to old to want to.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I couldn't change on the spanking issue either, PP. Its a very effective tool when used wisely and I can't imagine doing without it. Everyone I know that has done without it is now suffering through the teen years~ after suffering through the preteen years~ after recovering from the terrible twos! :p

I've always wanted to foster care kids also, as I had such a good time with my own kids and am still young enough to love a bunch more , but this no spanking thingy would be a serious drawback.

Alot of these kids are already growing up in homes where no one loves them enough to have rules, boundaries or a normal home setting. And they surely expect the foster families to provide these, but it would be like having rules and boundaries but no real way to enforce them.

Grounding? How to enforce it? MORE grounding? Denial of privileges? Once those are gone, how to enforce a rule with using this method...the privileges are already gone, what can you take away next?

These nonspanking ways of enforcing rules or boundaries probably doesn't mean much to a kid that has had so many things taken away as it is. It makes an already hard job that much harder....practically impossible if you want this kid to stay out of trouble and in school. I'm sure there are individual cases where this works, but I can't see it working in MY home.

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We try not to spank except for serious stuff(lying, cursing, hitting). We have my wifes 4 nieces and nephew. At first I wasn't too thrilled. We are guardians rather than foster parents so no foster kid money from DHS. Plus, the kids are very emotionally out there due to the violence in thier upbringing. I come from a small QUIET family and it is very daunting to say the least. However, we are 4 years into it, and to be honest I couldn't do without them(the noise yes, but them no lol). In those 4 years I have watched the emotional growth in these children. They still visit thier mom(the dad gave up visitation when confronted by the courts about choking John age 6 at the time) and she causes them to revert back to old behavior patterns, so its always an uphill climb.
I guess what I'm trying to say is it can be a very tiring, emotionally draining, and painful experience. But every time you look at those kids and they smile at you, draw you a picture, laugh...its worth every lost penny and sleepless night.

ByHisGrace

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
tommywalnuts said:
I guess what I'm trying to say is it can be a very tiring, emotionally draining, and painful experience. But every time you look at those kids and they smile at you, draw you a picture, laugh...its worth every lost penny and sleepless night.
Ditto ;)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
They do here in CT. I have a friend who is divorced with grown children and she had a high needs teenager placed with her last year.
Beekissed said:
I wonder if they let single women do foster care?