framing fowl -daily living

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I have a 3 day weekend from both jobs so I'm enjoying it to the hilt! MyT Man didn't have to be to work until 11am today so we had a leisurely breakfast together. Then I went to the library and picked up a couple of my favorite British murder mysteries on DVD and came home and watched one. Then I laid down for a nap and started reading In a Heartbeat by the Tuohy's. They have an amazing attitude and philosophy toward treating others and wealth and giving.

Tomorrow the plan is to come up with weekly menus since I will no longer be doing the cooking or grocery shopping. I'm also going to play with the fermented cornbread recipe and rest. Probably loll about on the porch swing with a cup of coffee and a good book. Maybe have a campfire coffee with the neighbor since her DH is out of town this weekend.

Monday is putting the roof on our building. Gotta get that done before the fall rains come.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Well, I did get rested up and lots of reading in! Perfectly lazy wonderful weekend.

Then yesterday I got out the highlighters, printed out a week and a half of daily calendars got out my recipe binder, scissors, tape, pens and went to work.

I put together my new schedule. Looks like in theory I'll have about 20 hours a week that I can use for whatever is necessary to keep life happening!

I also went through every recipe in my binder, made substitutions to make it edible, and classified it as either a low GI carb, a carb/protein combo, a protein, a veggie, and misc such as my fermentation notes, jerky recipes, etc. Everything else got tossed. So now the plan is to put together a weeks menu and cook in bulk on Sunday afternoons and Mondays, filling in with fresh veggies, lots of crockpot stuff and MyT Man picking up the slack. So in theory, it's workable. We'll see how it goes into practice.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Saw and heard the first flock of geese headed South yesterday. I love this time of year! It just smells different. I always feel more alert and ready to take on new projects and adventure.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Ponderings of the week: Do you ever just have your perspective turned upside down?

Don't you just hate being told "Do not..."

Don't... touch that.
Don't... go there.
Don't... ask me.
Do not... fear.
It seems to me that the command "do not..." is an indicator of something that we are to abstain from or withhold from ourselves or our life. It is a non-action. If it were math, it would be subtraction.

What about when we are asked to do something? There is a call to action. It is about adding something to ourselves or our life and creating abundance. If it were math, it would be addition.

Do... the dishes.
Do... run errands.
Do... call your mother.
Do... not fear.

Did you know that there is a command to "Do not fear" for every day of the year? Yet how exactly does one go about that? I swear to you that there are still monsters under my bed and in my closet! Then, a couple of weeks ago, it was like a light bulb went on and chased the monsters away. What if I was not being commanded to "DO NOT fear" but rather being invited to "DO.... not fear."

Do... love.
Do... have courage.
Do... build.
Do... hope.
Do... be reverent.
Do... be prepared.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Until HHHL (Hospital Hospitality House Lexington) opens for guests, my Sunday hours at my second job are work from home on computer stuff for Sundays. That's how I was able to do the geese last Sunday.

Today I'm canning up the last of the tomatoes and getting a couple pounds of dry red beans canned up so they're ready to use for chili. I'm also hoping to trim the front hedge so it's ready to go in the spring and get the sunflowers cut down in the backyard.

I scored yesterday at HHHL because we cleaned out the kitchen to prep cupboards for painting. They used to cook all of the meals there for guests but now we won't be doing that, we will be having one of the hospitals bring us food :rolleyes:. Gag...

But... I got a pack of canning jar lids, a stainless long handled slotted spoon, an enamelware roasting pan slightly larger than the one I had, a good quality butcher knife, and a huge stainless turkey roasting pan with lid. Then I also got 2 potted tomato plants with a few green tomatoes and 2 other terra cotta pots, some fertilizer and rooting hormone.

FIL is coming to visit this week. We have to drive up to Cinci at 3am Wed morning to pick him up. Then he and MyT Man are driving to MO for a family reunion/hog roast. They'll come back after the weekend and then I'm not sure when he leaves to go back to OR.

Today I'm going to rest up and get a nap in because the next couple of weeks will be nuts with disrupted schedules and extra cooking, etc.

It's amazing how when you have a big enough dream and goals that are moving you toward that, how much your capacity for work and organization increases. If you had told me even a year ago where we would be now, I would have laughed and told you it was crazy. Well, it's still crazy but we're doing it!

Hope your Sunday is a day of rest and recharging your batteries!

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've noticed there don't seem to be many lazy women on this forum and you are proving that point!

sounds like a lots going on - hope you get some time to yourself today in between all the canning and everything.

think I'll put on the dixie chicks and start chores.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Runnin' on fumes here. In fact, I think I'm headed to bed.

Got up at 1am Wed am to go to Cinci to go pick up FIL at the Amtrak. Came home, went to work 1, went to work 2, MyT Man shows up and his truck is dead. Call tow truck, send Homer (his truck) to the shop and go out to dinner. Head to bed around 11pm. Get up next morning, MyT Man takes me to work because the mechanic says engine is dead. Not just fixable but dead dead. Thank goodness it's under warranty.

So now, he and FIL decide that rather than renting a car to drive to their family reunion in MO, they'll just buy a truck and then use that until the engine in Homer is resolved, sell the new truck for a profit. So they bought a truck and had it serviced. I think this was on Thursday. Friday am they left.

This part was actually funny and the only SS I've touched in about a week.
Me: Do you have a spare tire?
Guys: Huh... do we have a spare? Well, we'll stop at the tire store on the way out...

Me: Do you have a lug wrench?
Guys: Ummm... maybe behind the seat? No, can we borrow yours and you can stop by the mechanic and get the one out of Homer?

Me: Do you have jumper cables?
Guys: Don't you have a set in the back we can borrow for the weekend?

And so it went. Then it started getting funny. I think by the time they left, they had a couple of cans of food, a can opener, some granola bars, a couple gallons of water, quarts of oil, lug wrench, spare, bungee cords, rope, a double bitted axe, a shovel, a roll of tp, a roll of paper towels, and who knows what all else.

I just don't understand how a man that bucks me on getting a different vehicle for 10 years can just have his die, buy a new one, and take off on an 800 mile road trip just like that. I'm still shaking my head wondering if the zombies took my real hubby!

Whew, so they're on the road and have a cell phone. Coast is clear right? Well, FIL forgot his hearing aids so I call them to come back. Don't answer and no voicemail. Oh well. Breathe deeply and realize I have to only work at 1 job for the weekend and that I have a few minutes to myself or so I think...

Artist shows up at the gallery Friday and has an extra ticket to the opening ceremonies of the FEI World Equestrian games, do I want it for Sat night? So last night I was out at the opening ceremonies which were amazing.

It was a 3 hour ceremony and was AMAZING! They had everything from a horse race, a sulky race, Muhammed Ali, 10 of the top saddlebreds in the country, Stacy Westfall did a bareback, no bridle reining run, cavalry drills, flags, cowboy dressage, the Friesian Train, and then Mario Contreras had his horse literally dancing ballet with the Lexington ballet company. The horses were magical and it was backlit by amazing music from many different genres. It was held in an outdoor arena and we had one of the most brilliant sunsets we have had in awhile. It was truly an enchanted evening.

So I finally got home and got to sleep around 1am this morning and then just got off a 10 hour shift. Whew. I think that's everything for awhile!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Not much happening around here, enjoying an Indian summer through the looking glass. Between job 1, job 2, and driving, it seems I'm not out other than the morning dog walk.

Yesterday I kept thinking to myself, something doesn't seem right. Something doesn't feel right... what is wrong? Finally, at 6pm I figured out that I had been wearing my shirt inside out all day! :lol: Whew! At least it wasn't anything important...

I had a weird thought as I was walking through the meat section of the grocery last night. Where are all the bones? About the only thing with bones were the ribs... weird random thought.

Then I bought a bag of snap peas for my lunch today. They are so disgusting I can't even eat them. It says they are washed and ready to use but they taste bitter, old, and lifeless. I hate to waste food but I really can't eat them.