Free garden planner

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Alexander, you can create your own post seperatly for your list. People create their own list on their own journals so it stays somewhat on topic about their Self sufficient journy. Unless of course Dragon wants your list here. :p

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Alexander, you can create your own post seperatly for your list. People create their own list on their own journals so it stays somewhat on topic about their Self sufficient journy. Unless of course Dragon wants your list here. :p
I'm friendly - but it might be hard for people to find him.
Hi Alexander :frow

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
I'm going to have no internet for a while. We are in the process of switching apartments and the cable company has to switch our service to the new place. Not sure how long it will take.
Be back as soon as I can.
Laura

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
I'm going to have no internet for a while. We are in the process of switching apartments and the cable company has to switch our service to the new place. Not sure how long it will take.
Be back as soon as I can.
Laura
Hope you have a smooth move. Other than being without internet that is. :/

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
Thanks. It's been stressful but almost done. The computer will be going to the new place today. It takes them a while to transfer service. The good part is the new apt is definitely bigger. :cool:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hey, you can go to the library and use their computers for free! Of course, one needs a rare commodity known as "time" to do this....

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
Haven't posted here in quite a while. Still been on the forums, just busy reading about everybody else.

We got settled into the newer apt just fine. Moving is not fun but we both like having more room plus- the balcony here has much more light than at the old apartment. I can actually grow some plants on this one. :D

The community garden did pretty well. Kept track of what I spent and what I got from it. Thank Wifezilla for that idea. I spent about 50 dollars total on the garden. This included the community garden membership, many packs of seed, a few started plants and basic tools. I just had a 4 ft x 8 ft raised bed and added a 5 ft x 14 ft bed later in the season, so it really didn't take much room.

I mostly grew stuff that is overpriced, usually bad quality, or hard to get here. My stuff was naturally grown to, so I would have to compare prices with organic foods. Saved lots of $$$ that way. I'm really glad that water was included in the contract though, because we had a really hot, dry summer. Almost no rain for two months. Local farmers must have been crying.

I made 1 and a 1/2 gallons of pickles after eating fresh cukes till they came out my ears. :lol: I picked my last pepper yesterday- a pretty cayenne for the hubby. The tomatoes did okay but 2 of them showed a little Blossom End Rot. Got busy reading and found out that it is a Calcium deficiency. I poured some powdered milk around the plants and watered it in. The rest were good afterwards. :celebrate
My Yard Long Beans were so good and produced much better than the normal pole beans. There were lots of bugs, but it didn't seem to hurt the Yard Long beans or the Roma tomatoes at all.
We dehydrated some stuff and also gave extra veggies, herbs and some plants to friends. I want to get canning equipment by next year.

Totally unrelated, but cool - I was running out of toothpaste and have wanted to find a more SS alternative, so I just made it. Used baking soda and salt as the base. Added some stevia, cinnamon and anise for flavor. I like it. Smells yummy, but tastes a little salty. The base was 1 part salt to 4 parts baking soda. I just kept adding the seasonings till it tasted good to me.