Free garden planner

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Mine is dry and I just dip the brush in the jar. I would have hated using straight baking soda. This stuff has lots of stevia and spices with it. Sorry I couldn't post a recipe but I just kept adding a little of this and a little more of that, till I liked the taste.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I just made a toothpaste cream after getting frustrated at dipping my toothbrush into plain b. soda. The recipe is 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup coconut oil, some powdered stevia and I used wintergreen to falvour it, but you could use whatever. i like it soo much better than plain baking soda.

oh, and ps, I am a sourdough slave now too. I'm obsessed.:p

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
MTN, doesn't the coconut oil give it a weird feeling on your teeth when you're done? Or does it just make it creamy? -sorry to hijack your journal dragonlaurel.

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
That coconut oil version would probably help fight germs too. I get hives from coconut though, so I'll stick with my powder.
No problem about the hijack. We should all have options to the over chemical-ly commercial body products. Even if the stuff never hits the fan- it's handy info. There are a few good brands out there, but making them is still way cheaper.

Miss North- I used about 1/2 and 12 whole wheat and rye flour and some water but it seems kinda dry. Should I just add more water and skip adding more flour the first night?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
MTN, doesn't the coconut oil give it a weird feeling on your teeth when you're done? Or does it just make it creamy? -sorry to hijack your journal dragonlaurel.
No, it's creamy. We all like it here. i was using plain BS for the longest time, but my kids and hubby wanted something minty. and just BS (sounds bad doesn't it?) was messy. so I ended up buying Toms once, then I found this recipe on the net somewhere.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
DL, when I started my starter, I used a 3:2 ratio, I used a 1/4 measuring cup. I used two scoops WW, 1 scoop rye flour, and two scoops water. Translates to 1/2 cup WW, 1/4 cup rye, 1/2 cup water.

If you start looking at SD websites, they often go by weight as opposed to actual meassuring cups. If you weighed the flour and the water of my ratio, it is pretty much 1:1 by weight--does that make sense?

And as far as your mixture right now, you always need to add flour, as that is what the yeast feed off of. When you feed it, you are getting rid of half of it before you feed, right? Then just add the 3:2 ratio, and it should balance out. It should be really goopy, but not dry, and not too runny.

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
Tonight will be 2 full days, and it seems right now. Started to "rise" even :) . Smells like bread dough.
Tonight I will feed it normally. I had checked the thread where you told the Bob's Red Mill instructions and what you do, when I was starting.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
When I feed my sourdough, I never remove and toss half. Its such a waste.
I just do what Sally Fallon rec. Feed it cold water and flour everyday for 7 days, then take 2/3rds of it to make bread. Feed the remaining 1/3 for another 6-7 days.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I only tossed when I was starting my starter. If it wasn't bubbling and doubling, I figured it wasn't worth keeping. and regardless of what NT says, I have tried to create a SD started soo many times, this way is the only way that has worked for me.