Free ranging in winter

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So I'm leaning toward expanding my flock if they all stay healthy. I have been experimenting free ranging my birds for a few hours a day lately. I find myself wondering if they could feed themselves threw the dead of winter.

Do any of you guys free range? Do you still feed them?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
maybe 500 is a little much. I'd have to hatch them non stop and just turn them loose in the yard.

I know a fella that did that. His flock would stretch across 3 properties and roost In the trees. It cured all the tick problems they had. Lol

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well... As far as winter goes, I'll be buried in feet of snow so my answer doesn't help you! But, even in the summer when there's plenty for them to eat, I feed them every day. Not nearly as much though, and they ignore their grain at times if there are enough bugs to eat. The old farmers sat you can feed them once every two weeks in good foraging weather. I don't find that to be very effective for actually getting eggs.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mine free range all year - but I'm pretty far south with pretty mild winters. I do feed my chickens all year long - not as much a I would if they were penned - but they get something every day. And, the more you have running around free-ranging - the less 'free-range edibles' there is available for them.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I free range all year and feed all year. The amount I need to feed lessens with time of year but mine are here to produce eggs. They need feed of some type. Now excess produce works as do any table scraps , stale breads, etc. They have to eat and what you need to provide really depends on where you live, your land, weather, etc.

Since I have other animals, the chickens help to break down manure piles, etc. Had a LOT of tiny grasshoppers this year, which they loved! Mine range a couple of acres normally.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I'm with @NH Homesteader . I feed very little in the summer, but it's a must in the winter. If there's good foraging the birds leave the feed alone anyway, so I just make adjustments based on the flock needs as they change through the seasons.

500 will be a good size flock!