Free ranging in winter

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It is almost 80 degrees in Texas today, so no problem free-ranging. I tried; the chickens loved it until a couple of dogs (cannot figure out where they came from) dug under the fence and killed a few layers. Decided it was not worth the risk when they have a nice, safe, large pen.

This morning my 10 baby chicks got a little sunshine and moved into a bigger house. Oh, sooo cute.

what part of Texas? I'm in the north. It was 70 today but the north wind is howling bad today. I suspect a cold night ahead

Peckadoodle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Near Austin...still sunny, but the wind has picked up.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's been about 30 each morning for past several days and mid 50 to mid 60 days. This AM it was 65 and now a front will slide thru and bring lower temps by nightfall. I still have some cool weather grasses and weeds growing but, spotty. Of course, the manure piles are still fresh & available, that's one thing that grows all year. LOL

It is a recycling thing -- manure piles -- as some feed going thru comes out as "unused" and the chickens then use it.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Seems the chickens are happiest running on my wood chips garden. They turned their noses up at the laying pellets and went right to the garden this morning

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mine free ranged all spring/summer and I still had major tick problems. I am not going to get as many as that guy though! Lol! I could use some guinea fowl but.... They're even more obnoxious than chickens...

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Havent had any tick issues here. The chickens do more of spider control for me. If they are free ranging I have a lot less get inside.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Love ducks! They're kind of feed hogs. But mine laid better than most of my chickens. They're way fun, and mine came when you called them (they're also easy to herd)... I've been wanting more...

Oh my DH really wants ducks. But we don't have the housing for them yet. Found a fairly local hatchery that does ducks and turkeys, so that might be a project in the near future...

Latest posts