Free's kidding journal 2011: Plum's death wish p 42

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Would you like me to reserve a doeling or two for you next spring? To keep on your balcony? :p

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I made two more videos of how to use the milking machine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0_uRUV2HwA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eYZU3ex3T4

Somehow I didn't record the "how to set up for milking" one so I'll have to do that one later. Then I will be ready for any emergency since I'll be able to get almost anyone to milk for me with just a phone call or email or text....all instructions will be online. Whew.

I'm in the process of changing how I clean the machine to be more environmental and will update that video when my supplies are ordered and arrive and I am comfortable with the new method and solutions. It will involve ACV and food grade hydrogen peroxide, no bleach.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Every time I think I'm done with this journal......well, here's another little story. I was too upset by it to tell it yesterday when it happened.

We had company for dinner, from about 4-9 PM. I ran out at around 5 to feed the chickens and pick the mushrooms, which has to be done daily. I was in a hurry so I threw most of the whole corn into the compost pile area. The gate is made from a section of cattle panel so the chickens can come and go and work on the compost, but I can keep the goats out. Hence the tossing of the corn in there to keep the does from eating it all. Normally I scatter it slowly, giving the hens time to pick it up, limiting what the does can hoover up since they first blow the dirt off each piece, then delicately pick it up with their prehensile lips.

I tossed corn, called hens, then ran for the woods to pick the mushrooms. I didn't even get to the logs when I heard Plummy SCREAMING. I yelled at Peach....she will try to hook Plum with her horns but Plum is quick about hopping up and dashing away from her sister. This time Plum kept on screaming non-stop. I ran. Plum screamed. I yelled and ran. Plum screamed. I cried and yelled and ran.

I found Plum with her head stuck low in the gate and Peach trying to gore her belly, Plum's hind end lifted far off the ground, screaming and screaming and struggling to escape. I ran over, screaming at Peach, and gave her a couple of good kicks and scattering all the does who'd come to watch.

I dropped to my knees, quickly inspecting Plum for wounds and trying to get her head out of the gate, all the while waving my feet at the other goats and yelling. Plum was frantic and was not cooperating with my efforts, so I started screaming for my husband while fighting the goats off. It was really only Peach that had evil intent, but I was also a bit panicky so I was fighting them all off. DH was in the front of the house grilling ribs for supper with the two guys and couldn't hear me. The neighbor kids came out to see what was happening and I asked them to run and get my husband and tell him to come quickly and help me with Plum.

The girl ran off and then I found my cell phone in my pocket. I called and the hubster answered....I breathlessly said, "Come quick! I need help with Plum! It is an emergency! RUN!" Then I yelled for the neighbor boy that dh was on his way.

He sent the other two guys because they are quicker. :lol: My father and a good friend came running, and the three of us were able to figure out the angle needed to release Plum from her stocks. I gave her another inspection and found no gashes. She got a hug and a smooch and was set free.

I tried to act normal (quite a feat for me since on my best day I'm not normal! :p ) and calmed myself down by bringing the guys over to see the mushroom logs, and picked a bunch of mushrooms into my dad's shirt. See my mushroom thread for those pictures. Taken minutes after Plum's decision to risk her life for a kernel of corn, while my heart was still racing and I wanted to sit down and cry in relief that my Plummy was ok.

ETA: We couldn't have dinner until I wired a scrap of horse fencing with 2x4" openings to that gate. Now the hens can't work the compost unless I leave the gate open for them, which I probably will. But Plum can't do this again, thank goodness. There are no other cattle panel gates to deal with. The pigs have cattle panels, but there is also an electric wire near the bottom of their fence.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
oh NO!!!! poor Plummy!

well, you know what they say... goats = crazy and sometimes a little murderous.

i HATE the "i'm screaming for you, how can you NOT hear me" thing... ugh! quick thinking with your phone...and glad that the neighbor kids were on the look out for you. it must be reassuring that if you were hurt they can hear you yelling for help.

but ugh. bad bad bad Peach.

my girls are are nuts now and i think things will calm down - until the next "heat wave" gets them all in a tizzy. Nibbles usually gets the raw end of all the rambunctiousness.

while i wont offer a smooch (blech) give poor Plum a snuggle from her Auntie OFG

*hugs*

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm glad it turned out ok inz the end, but how scary

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I was hoarse and my throat was sore....so I cut the watermelon and we all had some and then I had some wine. It is awesome to have plenty of almost-free wine. Mama needs her med'cine!

OK, I'm really not a lush. :p