Free's piggie thread...new pics p 19

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The friend with the rifles will arrive at 8:15, so we will be getting an early start. ("We".....hah!) It is supposed to be just above freezing for the high that day, and down into the teens for the night, so I think we'll have ideal temps. So, can I cook some up right away? Like for supper? Or like chicken, should it age a day before cooking for better tenderness?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Just gave the pigs the last of the fermented acorns. They had lots of corn left from yesterday. DH was walking the dogs yesterday and said they had dug holes so deep that he could hardly see them as he walked by the pasture....so they are still finding stuff to eat in there.

Cleaned up a spot in the garage to hang them....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Dad is putting the gambrel and hoist together.....I'm running off to work. Nervous!!!! Where's the quaking smilie??? :rolleyes:

Bourbon Red

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yeah! You can (and should!) eat the liver, etc. right away - that day - for lunch! You could also cut out the tenderloins (also called backstraps and other things) but those will be better the day after if for no other reason than that there is so much liver/heart/kidney to get through the first day!

Seriously - by this time tomorrow you'll be wondering 1)why you ever made a fuss about it and 2) why anyone would every pay to have it done. The first time I did it everyone I knew was busy/sick/out of town or whatever - so I just did it myself. No problem. Easy-peasey (I did have access to a loader which made hoisting them up in the air a whole lot easier.

I wrote a second thing for OFG about utting up a hog with pictures - apparently I forgot to send it to her. I have to see whether I still have that - it might come in handy in a day or so when you go to cut them up.

Good luck - you'll do just fine!

raiquee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You can do it Free! Get pictures! I hope to be raising feeder pigs next year, and need all the help I can get! ;) BR has a good step by step on ohiogirl's blog (which I LOVE btw, you are frickin' funny) but it's always good to see different ways/pictures!

You will love yourself some of that good ol' porkchop :)

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
whooot! i'm so excited for you, Free! whoooot!

BR - still waiting for those pix......

thanks, raiquee!

now everyone together...

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

yay!

:)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
If I can do it, YOU can do it! (Don't forget that my pig was a celebrity. ;) )

eta, I didn't "do it", the butcher did, but I did watch...come on, he was 325 + pounds! :lol: