Free's piggie thread...new pics p 19

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
how ya doing?

thats probably the 'worst case ever' scenario. a bad shot, just made her mad, probably made your dad nervous, and there you have it. remember BR's words that if you do this (often enough) you get a bad shot. we had one once. he had to chase a really mad pig for over an acre.

it happens. its over. now on to the task.

(and really, it probably didnt go on as long as it seemed to you. really).

*hugs*

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
OK, we are laughing and joking again. Even me. I am letting the hired hands do the work today, treating myself to observer status more than I'd planned. Taking pictures. Chatting. Joking. Discussing recipes!

I just came in to get pots for liver, heart, random bits of fat (lean pigs, ugh! Starting earlier in the spring for fatter pigs!)

I no longer have the urge to slug vodka straight from the bottle, whew. Of course, the guts part hasn't happened yet..... :lol:

I was assured by the guys that it wasn't as long as it seemed, but everyone was a bit traumatized by the screaming. Apparently, she kept running into her house and they couldn't get the next shot quickly. Lesson learned. Block the door to the house. We did have her in the small round pen attached to the house, so it should've been easier....next year!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
oh good! you're too the joking part... whew!

did you ask if they were faking it!??!!?

the screaming is just startling - remember that they use that sound for horror movies. our pigs make that same scream when we picked them up so.... it sounded worse than it was. bad, sure. but now you know what the worst thing is (besides one of you getting hurt).

we've opted for a 9mm just to make "extra sure." might be something to think about for next time but sounds like she was just spooked. you all did just fine.

give yourself a pat on the back and get out there and get that leaf lard!

yay!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, you DO need some goat birthin' video to calm the nerves :D Glad the worst part is over for them pigz and you.

ETA - that goat comment is going to seem really strange in a year when you go back and and read this, LOL.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
He used a .357 with .38 slugs in it.

The guts part wasn't that bad! Hmm! It was quick and neat. Not what I expected. I'm in making tea and coffee (my preferred role :lol: ) and they were finishing up sawing the first one in half.

I just realized that the walkers we saw on the xmas tree farm earlier where likely curious neighbors drawn by the sounds of the shot and the screaming. One guy walked a few rows of xmas trees away from our fence, slowly, then picked up the pace when he saw the pig hanging.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: Maybe that'll keep people away from your goats. Nothing like a fresh kill hanging to spook people.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Four halves now hanging in the garage. Just need to get them cut up enough to send off the bacon, maybe later tonight, then they can hang for a while until we get to them. I printed out OFG's link pictures of the initial cuts, and our hogs are already skinned.

I forgot to write that before the first shot on the girl, one of the guys put my stainless steel stock pot down for her to eat the pumpkins I'd cooked and coated with kefir to keep her still.....I noticed just in time and said, "Don't shoot my stock pot!!! Dump it on the ground!" Whew. One disaster averted..... :p

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Today we butchered one of the pigs, mostly, and I ground enough fat to fill my Dutch oven and it is in the oven now.....I am RIGHT NOW chewing on my first bite of pork! YUM!!!

It tastes......clean. That is the only way to describe it. Which frightens me a bit. A lot. Ya know how you cook pork sometimes it has that smell? That....um...piggie smell?

This stuff is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I cooked a few mystery bits in some cream of mushroom soup (home-canned, of course, FarmerLor's recipe) and the soup is a bit overwhelming to the taste of the pork, but...I can still ABSOLUTELY tell the difference.

I was doing math in my head in the shower (doesn't everybody? :p ) because I just came across a farm that sells sides/quarters for $3.50 per pound, un-cut, just a hunk of pig, pasture-raised.

We done good.

More details later, I had almost no computer time today, and I am in a skirt, the grunge showered off, and we have to leave for our religious services. I grabbed a moment here while dh is in the shower.

I have pictures, but for some reason, our camera memory card is not talking to our computer right now. They are having a tiff. Again. :rolleyes: