Freezer issues, ideas/advice needed

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I cleaned and defrosted my folks' freezer (in my cellar) as it was really bad, the top shelf was completely iced in and sometimes the door wouldn't close and stuff would defrost....in a spotty way. So we had unplanned meals at times.....since I go into my two freezers often, we didn't lose anything, thank goodness. But....with three pigs and some chickens to go into the freezer soon, along with garden produce, well, I need both to be reliable.

My chest freezer is about 25 years old, and my parent's upright is about 35 years old.

I turned the defrosted and cleaned upright on yesterday and opened it today, and the shelves are already frosty, and the top shelf is very frosty and water is dripping from along the top of the door, indicating practically no seal there anymore.

I just priced gaskets and they are in the hundred dollar range. A newer freezer on craigslist is about the same price. So I was wondering if I can rig up this freezer to make it work for nothing or next to it, since I have a few weeks. I was thinking of using some type of strapping around the freezer at the top and bottom of the door, maybe with bungees, that have to be unhooked each time we go into the freezer. The idea would be to hold the door shut tightly. Yes, it would be a mild pain in the tuckus, but if it worked, we could just go into that freezer once every week or two and transfer what we needed to the upstairs fridge freezer. Like going shopping.

Whatcha think? Other ideas? Maybe I should just junk it and get another one?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I wonder how energy efficient an old one like that is, especially if the seal is not complete.

I know my husband bought something once to "reline" the door of our fridge, it certainly wasn't 100 dollars, but it was never a custom seal, but it worked okay. He is good at improvising so I suspect he used something intended for a different purpose, but he just cut it to fit and glued it in and we had that fridge several more years.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but I would think if you are willing to mess with the bungees and as long as it still freezes....go for it. BUT check to make sure there are no coils in the back like alot of refridgerators have, that can get really hot sometimes and could start a fire.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Old freezers are so energy consuming as to be pretty much worthless any more. If you need seal and it is $100 or more, you'd be better off getting a new one altogether. I'd hold on to the old one and keep it in the shed or wherever in the event you want to use it during the winter. It is still a well insulated box but the compressor and motors are very inefficient.
If you want to go the real cheap route, buy 3 sheets of 2 inch thick polystyrene and build a box of it to cover the entire freezer. If it is a chest freezer it is easier because the top will sit on it rather than have to be held on with bunje cords.
It will make it more energy efficient and may save you some money. I paid almost $25 for each sheet of styrofoam so it may be a wash in terms of cost. but the extra insulation is never a BAD idea. Just don't block air circulation for any exposed coils.
Hope this is helpful
Trim sends
//BT//

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I agree that an upgrade may be in order...BUT...$100 for a seal sounds high. Check www.repairclinic.com and see what they charge. You might be able to replace the seal, sell the freezer and get a newer, more energy efficient one.

DesertChick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't trust the reliability of a 35 yr old freezer. If I were you, I would purchase a newer one ASAP especially since your other one is also old. :old

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
We had an older upright freezer when I was living at home and we had to use a metal strapping thing on it to make sure it stayed shut. It worked. :p

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
If you can find a cheaper gasket, then I would replace it, sell the freezer for a bit over the cost of the repair, and then buy a newer, (or new if its feasible) chest freezer.
Or, call it a loss, and buy a newer one outright, and keep it for winter storage outside, as Icu mentioned.
Uprights are terrible when it comes to efficiency, even the new ones, because all the cold air falls out every time you open it. With a chest freezer, very little escapes when opened.

GaFarmGirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think I am with the general opinion here. It is time to get a new one. At least if you buy one now you will have time to look around and get the better price opposed to it going out while all of the pork and chicken are in there and you have to rush out and get a new one fast so the meat does not spoil. Don't forget to look in the scratch and dent section too.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have the same problem. Our freezer happens to be close to a jack in our basement. We just jam a short piece of lumber between the jack and the door. It has worked for about four years so far. It is a small pain, but I have been told that while less efficient, new freezers will not last nearly as long as the older ones. Ours is about thirty years old.