From tech founder to sustainable farmer

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am sure she is charging exactly what the market will bear in her area. Otherwise she would have to lower her prices to move the things.

I do believe there are people out there that think the most expensive and most pretty things are the best. We know better than that in normal life...I think.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bee you are right that rich folks like to buy from rich folks. In our area the only people making money farming these days are either doing it as a side job to their already well paying job or were rich going in.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep...usually replanted city or urban folks who have made enough in the city to buy up farm land and have a "sustainable" farming setup by charging huge prices for the same thing poor folks have been growing since the beginning of time but is suddenly something more desirable because it's being grown by more enlightened, wealthier city folks. IMO, that's what makes their farms "sustainable"...only the wealthy can sustain that kind of setup.

None of the country folk seem to be farming nowadays, stating they can't afford to do so, but the rich folks can afford it and so they do and they make more money because they will charge more than a poor farmer and can afford to risk that venture and pretty soon it pays off for them because rich folk like to buy from rich folk.

This all makes it even harder for the poor farmer because they can't sit on their money and risk the farm on charging huge prices, as that is always a gamble when dealing with fresh produce and livestock, so they can be growing the exact same quality of food on the neighboring farm but still have to market it at lower prices so the general public can afford it. But, he still can't afford to grow it for as low as Walmart sells it, so even that's a bust.

Pretty soon all the healthy food from "local" farmers is all being produced by rich folks who are charging an arm and a leg for their produce because they feel like it's just worth that much....but there ain't no turkey worth $200~heritage breed or not~ unless it's the last turkey on earth and you are starving and have money but no food. It's a case of the Emperor's new clothes...and only the smart folks can actually see them, but even a child can see he's naked.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't see why heritage birds are so expensive. We've raised both... I think the BB turkeys cost more because all they do is eat. Heritage grow slower sure, but they don't take as much food to get there.

We sold our chickens for $2.50/lb to family and $3/lb to other people. The rich ("important") guy in town charges $4.50/lb. And they are not organic. We've stopped selling chickens because they're a pain to raise and a pain to process, and we are not interested in raising Cornish X anymore.

Most non-rich farmers have become homesteaders now. My husband hates the term, he says it's just how you're supposed to live, why does it need a fancy title? Lol I embrace it because it's easier than explaining our lifestyle.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm sorta with your hubby...when I hear the word "homesteader" I automatically picture a lonely claim in the midwest with the man plowing the sod while the wife boils laundry in a huge kettle on a fire fueled with buffalo chips. :D

Other than on these forums, I never call how we live homesteading, as it's just frugal, sensible living to me and what most folks should be doing if they possess any amount of land on which to do it. It just makes sense.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't consider myself a homesteader either. I am a farmer. Small farmer, but a farmer none the less. In my mind, if you have a tomato plant in a bucket and 1 chicken, you are a farmer. We need more folks to become farmers and raise something to eat, no matter how small the effort.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
See to me a farmer makes a living farming, a homesteader grows and raises food for themselves and their family. But I'm happy to be called either! And yes more people should do it.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Not many small time(not commercial)farmers can make a living off their farms around here, most work outside the home and off farm, but are still considered very much farmers. They raise cattle to sell each year, they make hay and use and sell some, they raise corn for feed/silage, raise hogs, raise up a garden and even small crops like soybean and oats to sell but most still have family that work off the farm.

Even if they can't make a living off it, it's still farming right along. I don't consider myself a farmer at all, nor really a homesteader...when we moved back in the holler on 110 acres and lived off grid, in rough hewn log cabins, carrying water from a spring, milking a cow, growing or hunting most of our foods, etc., we were homesteading.

Now, I just consider it living in the country. I'm country. :D

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I sell eggs and lamb. I sold excess squash from my garden this past summer, I've sold a few jars of sweet pickles and green tomato pickles. I expect to grow my "farm" but will never be able to make a living from it. If I can cover some expenses, then I am way ahead of where I'd be if I did nothing but spend money on my garden/animals for only myself.