Frugal snack ideas.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Here is an inexpensive snack my mom used to make for us when we were strapped for money.

slice of bread
pb
light corn syrup
Spread the pb on the bread & pour the syrup over it all. Eat with a fork!

I just made some for my kids a few weeks ago & they love it!

sweetcorn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That thread on home cooking that going on right now did raise another thought- my Mom used to make pie crust strips- she's just make pie dough, cut them into strips, flavor with cinnamon and sugar.
I make these for the kids every time I make pie , and my mom used to make them for us as kids too. We cut ours into lil squares with a pizza cutter. My kids are always more excited about getting pie crust cookies than they are about the pie.

Popcorn is another of their favorite snacks as is cooked white rice with butter and salt , or grits with butter and salt. Peanut butter toast is a biggie here too.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
WE always got these when my mom made a pie & had left over crust. I do the same thing for my family too.

sweetcorn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I always make twice the crust recipe I need so they can get cookies. My mom did just the extra leftover too , but with 5 kids that never went far at my house lol , especially when 4 of them are boys !

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I can imagine it didn't go too far! We had to fight my dad for them if he was home when she made them. He still asks her to make them if she makes a pie from scratch.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I would have nevr thought of this, but then, when I eat pie, I scrape out all th good stuff and give th crust to my hubby. I bet HE would like this idea.

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
you been holdin' out on me? recipe, womanm!

PotterWatch said:
I've made my own cheese balls and things like that before. Baked ones kind of like cheetos, not like fresh cheese that you eat with crackers.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
LOL my brother is 13, and eats enough food to feed 4 people, NO JOKE. We NEVER HAVE FOOD. Popcorn is a MUST, we also buy frozen fruit like strawberries and peaches, we used to grow our own but we moved and it was just such a pain that we left them behind at the old house. We lock them in the chest freezer, and send them in a sandwich box to school, they're only a bit thawed out by lunchtime, and very tastey.