Frugal snack ideas.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Read a book about frugal living and they were making homemade "Lunchables" that were more nutritious and much cheaper. They would purchase plastic containers with compartments and fill each little compartment with little slices of cheese, meats, carrots, dip, fruit, peanut butter & crackers, etc. The total savings in a week for their kid's lunches for school were out of this world! They would even make PBJ sandwiches and cut them into the little round shapes to fit into the container...sounded so cute!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I bought a few kids meals TV dinners for Nicole on sale. Lousey food...LOL...but she loves the blue trays. So I kept those 4 trays and put her dinner in there sometimes and she thinks it is the tops, eating a TV dinner watching TV....she loves that treat.

I won't be buying those expensive tasteless meals again, but I was smart keeping those original trays.....she doesn't know the difference but her own TV dinner is so special for her...LOL

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
ZOOKIES (zuchinni cookies)

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 sm zuchinni-shredded
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup raisins
3/4 cup shredded coconut(optional)
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
In a large bowl, cream together butter & sugar. Add the egg & vanilla & beat well. Sift together the flour, baking soda & salt & mix into the wet mixture. Add the shredded zuchinni, oatmeal, raisin, coconut(if desired) & butterscotch chips & mix throughly. Drop by the teaspoonful onto greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 for 12-14 mins. Makes about 50 cookies.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks HM
printed and will be used (definitely no coconut, not a fan in this house but the rest sounds delish!)
and so many zucchini!! no problem finding just a small one..HA HA

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ZOOKIES (zuchinni cookies)
I have this recipe and it is great! We just call them Zucchini Cookies but it is exactly the same. My boys love them. Dh is not as happy with them but he does not like the raisins and coconut. Crazy guy!!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I leave out the coconut too as ds#2 does not like it. He doesn't like the raisins either but he eats them. I never told him they have zuchinni in them as he does not like it either. But what he does not know won't hurt him will it? I also sneak it into pizza & a few other things.
Dh loved them & kept on eatting them, I need to make some more.

Oh 1 small zuchinni equals 1 cup shredded zuchinni in case you have it in the freezer already shredded.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
VT-Chicklit said:
My Swedish grandmother use to make something she called "Skorpa or possibly Skurpa". She took leftover bread and rolls and lightly buttered them and dusted them with cinnamon and sugar. She then placed the bread on cookie sheets in her gas oven over night. The heat from the pilot in her oven dried the bread to a light crispy consistancy. She would take all the dried pieces and put them in a large jar, to be used as snacks for the week. If you were to use day old bread from the store, this would be an inexpensive sweet treat that could be made way in advance and stored. It is very yummy!
I am making this with the heel of a loaf of homemade bread. hope the like it!

I also made biscuits, added more sugar and chocolate chips. they turned out great. he likes the popcorn, but doesn't want it everyday.

Kids I tell ya :barnie

eta, the next time I am in town with the bulk food store, I am getting ingredients for the trail mixes and granola bars.--- Thanks everyone!

Helena

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Toast with peanut butter and jam
Toast with nutritional yeast pat (nutritional yeast flakes and light olive oil)
Toast with mayo and sliced tomatoes, or grated carrots or zucchini
Celery with cream cheese and olives or pimentoes

Homemade muesli with hot apple juice or herbal tea poured on it. Let is soak a minute or two, and mmmmm.

Scones or biscuits don't cost much to make.

Carrots, raisins, prunes

Hard-boiled eggs

I've found that leaving out the sugar and the corn syrup helps folks from having sugar cravings.

Also, drinking a glass or two of water sometimes is enough. Quite often the desire to munch is actually thirst.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have done the Homemade Lunchable thing. My son would cry his eyes out when he was little because everyone else had them. I refused to pay that much money for a such a small amount of food that would not even fill him up. So I made my own- crackers, chese, lunchmeat, treat etc.. He never knew the difference.

I am going to try that granola bar today. Thanks for sharing.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
With so many posts regarding toast- why not make a spicy-cheesy mix to spinkle on cut up bread and toast in the oven- so of like home-made bagel bits? You could use stalish bread toss with some olive oil then sprinkle whateve you find good and bake?