tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
If you want to feel warm on chilly fall days, don't use a heating pad or take a hot bath! This causes your body to acclimate to hotter temperatures which leaves you feeling more cold for longer!

Instead, get cold. Think cold shower. Go outside without a sweatshirt or jacket. Your body will adjust to colder temperatures and you feel warm. Temperature acclimation takes 2 weeks.

Exercise is great for feeling warm. Cardio! Vibration, dry brushing, or lymphatic massage to increase circulation to the skin.

Then you can set your thermostat to a less expensive setting without actually feeling cold.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i agree with exercise being a great way to warm up. :) wearing more clothes and a hat indoors will help even out the cooler temperatures. in the past few years we've been keeping the house warmer than in the past (Mom feels the cold a lot more now) so i'm not as able to acclimate as much as i'd like (same for the summertime AC running more because she can't tolerate the heat as much either).

the recent weeks we've been going from cold to warm and back again so it's not been any kind of weather to acclimate to at all... this morning it is cold again then the next few days warms up and then we go back to cold again. which is ok with me - i can use a break if it rains or snows.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Yo' mama was right about turning the thermostat down during heating season.

General guideline: 1 degree on the thermostat = 3% of your heating cost.

Turn the thermostat from 72 to 68 and save 10% on your next bill.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We just have the wood stove going, right now we don't have the thermostat turned on. It will go on when it gets below freezing at night and will be set at 60 in case that the wood stove goes out or something happens.

But when we did run it, it was set to 64 during the day when we were both working out of the home and the kids were at school and then we would turn it up to 68 at night while we were awake and back town to 64-ish overnight

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I layer up to go outside to do chores. When I come in, it feels hot and layers come off. I keep the thermostat set usually at 68.

that's where we are at during the day, at night we turn it down to 63F.

in the past when Mom was away being a nanny during the week i would turn the whole house thermostat down to 55F and just keep my room warmer with a small electric heater. that worked well enough for me because i'm in here almost all the time. for some years we'd set it at 64F during the day and lower it to 62F at night. now as time has gone on and she wants to feel warmer we've crept up to 68F during the day.

when it is windy and stormy it doesn't make sense to have the heat set very high because it all blows away so i'll bump it down a few degrees until the wind stops blowing so hard.