Fruit Fly Trap

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
with all the melon and tomato fruits coming in the house to be cut up or processed sometimes we can't help but bring in a few of these flies along with them.

i know they like apple cider vinegar, but to make it work as an effective trap i put in a few drops of liquid soap and then some extra melon juice and a small piece of melon.

the first version i made last night was just a small plastic 2oz cup with the lid propped off to the side a bit so they could get in. plain apple cider vinegar and a few drops of soap. had caught two of the fruit flies by morning. today i added the drops of melon juice and bit of melon and caught the rest that have been buzzing around this morning/afternoon.

now i'm joking with Mom about pickled fruit flies. poor buggers...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I made orange vinegar intended for cleaning, but I react to orange oil so I couldnt use it. I gave it to a friend who feeds her parrot fresh fruit so she always has fruit fly traps. It worked great!

I bet you could use rinds and pulp to make melon vinegar in case you need fruit fly bait when you dont have melon to bait the traps.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
i've not had any problem at all getting the fruit flies using the trap from before, it's still the same little piece of melon in the vinegar, what i do is just add a little more fresh vinegar if i see more fruit flies buzzing around and i pick out the flies that are well-pickled. now that it is getting colder out we don't have the fruit flies around as much.

i've had bad reactions to orange oil/scented cleaners before too. as a kid i was pretty reactive to almost everything edible. it took many years of allergy shots to get me able to co-exist with citrus and also i perhaps grew out of some of the reactions. now i can eat citrus/oranges but i can't overdo it. like an orange every two or three days is plenty. if i eat more than that i can break out in hives/bumps.
My orange reaction comes and goes. I can drink juice or eat them if someone else peels them. Orange oil in a steam diffuser is the worst. I get headache, fatigue, cognitive impairment/brain fog, its a bit hard to describe but an awful feeling.

My sister has oral allergy syndrome and is even more sensitive to citrus. I hope avoiding orange will prevent mine from getting worse.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i've not had any problem at all getting the fruit flies using the trap from before, it's still the same little piece of melon in the vinegar, what i do is just add a little more fresh vinegar if i see more fruit flies buzzing around and i pick out the flies that are well-pickled. now that it is getting colder out we don't have the fruit flies around as much.

i've had bad reactions to orange oil/scented cleaners before too. as a kid i was pretty reactive to almost everything edible. it took many years of allergy shots to get me able to co-exist with citrus and also i perhaps grew out of some of the reactions. now i can eat citrus/oranges but i can't overdo it. like an orange every two or three days is plenty. if i eat more than that i can break out in hives/bumps.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i had major problems at work due to imposed cleaning requirements. a lot of cleaning supplies have citrus oils in them and my lungs react badly. boss did not listen to me and the doctor turned out to be a jerk that didn't back up a previous diagnosis. eventually after being repeatedly harrassed i quit. it was a low paying job that i loved too but it just wasn't worth it. have noted since then that the boss still has a hard time keeping employees. i was reliable and glad to be there.

ok, i should say i'm over it, but i'm still mad at that boss. haha. :)