CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Jesus is Lord and Christ ๐Ÿ™โค๏ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I want to do this! Gonna watch the video, thanks
I'm studying, so I thought I would share. There are so many ways to graft. Seems like people find what works for them and run with it.

This photo show the whip and tongue graft joint pretty clearly, because different colored bark. My initial thoughts It's kind of like fitting jigsaw puzzle pieces together. It's just wood I can do this. Will I make mistakes? Absolutely I will, that's all part of the learning process. Besides experience is a strange thing, you get it right after you needed it. Now where to find a good quality grafting knife, so I can practice and make mistakes ๐Ÿค”
Screenshot_20220421-001243~2.png

Using biodegradable materials (raffia & parafilm) to secure the graft while it heals, makes perfect sense. Screen print at 7:27 from the video.
Screenshot_20220423-214128~2.png

Whip and tongue - good compression graft joint.
Screenshot_20220421-000054~2.png

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wanted to add another resource I thought was good. Now that I had time to go through it and digest all of it's contents.

Bear in mind I'm just a Padawan Learner, with no grafting attempts thus far. At this point, I'm finding it very different to even find a stainless steel single bevel grafting knife, so I can start practicing.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised... It actually a fairly decent tool for the price. Probably not of hand me down quality, but for what I want to do, it should do fine.

My understanding this grafting tool is for late season (leafy) grafting of similar sized branches from mother tree to another live root stock. They need to be similar sized in diameter so the cambium layers line up.

I need to de-oil the tool and give a try on a air-layer crab apple root stock and try and graft in a red or golden delicious branch and see what happens.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In a little bit... I'm going to write up a long post of what I learned, from my studying on bench grafting. Kind of like a how-to primer, I guess. Remember that I'm a Padawan Learner, so I could be completely wrong on some parts. So PLEASE I would like all you all's comments. PLEASE question what I write up and correct any unknown errors.