Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hugs, @frustratedearthmother and I hope the new puppy can manage to fill the empty hole in your heart.
If they ever do some sort of "uplift" on dogs (term taken from David Brin's Uplift series) I really hope that they are able to give them a longer lifespan. It's so hard when we love them so much and it's for such a short period. Our family is partial to the giant breeds, and they tend to have the shortest lifespans.
On the other hand, I feel sorry for macaws and other large birds that people like to adopt as pets; they can live 100 years or more, and they have emotional needs as great as any child. A lot of them bond with one owner, and if that owner predeceases them, which is very likely given their long lifespans, they mourn forever.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woke up to rain. We needed 'some' but it never knows when to stop. Oh well.... Spent some time on the back porch with a cup of coffee. Strange not having any company out there - but there are sure a lot of memories of great times watching the dogs run and play and throwing a frisbee for Gracie...sigh.

But, on a lighter note - the breeder sent pics of the three male puppies today. Hope abounds! Pups are 9 days old today and I'm gonna get my guy at 7 weeks. He'll get his first shot at 6 weeks and we'll give it a week to build some immunity and then he's coming home with me! Hope it goes by quickly cuz I need me some puppy breath!

I was so excited to find this pup because his mom is Gracie's half-sister. Meant to be, right? Did I reveal the next little miracle? (I'm old-can't remember who I've told.) Not only did I find Gracie's half-sister - I found a LITTERMATE of Gracie's that will be bred this fall and I'm already on a wait list for a female from her. Gracie's FULL SISTER! I'm thinking there might be English Shepherd pups in my future. I'm going to make darn sure I'm never without one! They truly are a very special breed and if the ones I'm getting are half the dog Gracie was - they'll be awesome.

Rain was light this afternoon so I snuck into the garden for a bit. Did some weed patrol and took out some spent green beans and will plant corn there. Took out a row previously and planted more okra. I'm trying to keep things going even though with our heat this time of year is a challenge.

Making some refrigerator bread and butter pickles. Yum! Can't wait to munch on those. I opened up a jar of chicken that I canned recently and made a bowl of chicken salad. That's going to have to be dinner cuz I'm not
fixing anything else, lol.

Better get out and feed while it's not raining.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You know, I was thinking that you should become a breeder of this breed you love so much. I was thinking that you ought to promote this breed that has captured your heart. And here I read that you have found Gracie’s full sister AND will get a puppy! That just goes to show ya’ great minds run in the same gutter. LOL LOL

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You know, I was thinking that you should become a breeder of this breed you love so much. I was thinking that you ought to promote this breed that has captured your heart. And here I read that you have found Gracie’s full sister AND will get a puppy! That just goes to show ya’ great minds run in the same gutter. LOL LOL
And, that is exactly the reason I'm going to enter this venture. The best way to honor Gracie is to help preserve the breed that she represented so beautifully.

I'm also down one LGD - but I think I have a source to obtain one. :) Stay tuned!

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thought you had Cowboy & Missy --??? Someone leave town? :idunno
Nope, they're still there doing their job. But, I prefer to have three dogs out there. Two in the pasture and one in a smaller area where the youngest kids are. Basically, I've been a dog short in the pasture since Maddie moved to the backyard last year. Right now, Cowboy and Missy are separated (their choice) because Cowboy won't leave the babies. That means Missy is working the big pasture alone and I prefer to have two dogs in the big pasture. Our resident bobcat has been busy. Neighbors have lost all their chickens and one lost a smallish pig. Before Cowboy moved into the smaller area I lost a broody hen that had set up a nest there.

Also, I think I've got a raccoon that's getting in the corn. The garden is in a former goat pen, right between the backyard and the main pasture - in the area I call the "front or smaller barnyard area". Before Maddie left us, even though she mostly stayed in the back yard, she would jump the walk through gate and go into the front barnyard. Gracie did the same so that area was covered too. It's confusing, lol. But, short answer is I want another LGD.

I need to disbud the last three kids. I hate to do it in the summer - it just seems like adding insult to injury. But, gotta be done.

Happy Father's day ya'll.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Woke up to rain. We needed 'some' but it never knows when to stop. Oh well.... Spent some time on the back porch with a cup of coffee. Strange not having any company out there - but there are sure a lot of memories of great times watching the dogs run and play and throwing a frisbee for Gracie...sigh.

But, on a lighter note - the breeder sent pics of the three male puppies today. Hope abounds! Pups are 9 days old today and I'm gonna get my guy at 7 weeks. He'll get his first shot at 6 weeks and we'll give it a week to build some immunity and then he's coming home with me! Hope it goes by quickly cuz I need me some puppy breath!

I was so excited to find this pup because his mom is Gracie's half-sister. Meant to be, right? Did I reveal the next little miracle? (I'm old-can't remember who I've told.) Not only did I find Gracie's half-sister - I found a LITTERMATE of Gracie's that will be bred this fall and I'm already on a wait list for a female from her. Gracie's FULL SISTER! I'm thinking there might be English Shepherd pups in my future. I'm going to make darn sure I'm never without one! They truly are a very special breed and if the ones I'm getting are half the dog Gracie was - they'll be awesome.

Rain was light this afternoon so I snuck into the garden for a bit. Did some weed patrol and took out some spent green beans and will plant corn there. Took out a row previously and planted more okra. I'm trying to keep things going even though with our heat this time of year is a challenge.

Making some refrigerator bread and butter pickles. Yum! Can't wait to munch on those. I opened up a jar of chicken that I canned recently and made a bowl of chicken salad. That's going to have to be dinner cuz I'm not
fixing anything else, lol.

Better get out and feed while it's not raining.

puppy breath is a drug, i'm convinced of that... :)