Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Your garden sounds like mine. Success and failure. Eh (shrug)
Yep - It happens.

I sold a goat today! One of the Nubian gals went to her new home where she's going to be a nurse mama to a couple of orphan goats. If you woulda asked me if that would work I woulda said no - but evidently she was really ok with it. Who knew??

Starting to take the old outta the garden and put in the new. Some of the first green beans are coming out and I need to decide what to put there...maybe more corn or okra. I only put in one row of okra and I'm kind of regretting that so maybe that's what I'll do. We do love some okra.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Another not so good start to the day. In the space of not much more than an hour this morning, I'm down another dog. Went out to find that Maddie had an ugly, swollen bulging eye. Called the vet and was lucky to get her in. Not a good prognosis and the only solution would be to remove the eye. We discussed her history and her age and made the decision to euthanize. I knew this would be the final outcome for her at some point but geeze….

I had noticed her eye looking a little cloudy just a couple days ago and figured she had cataracts. Vet said it could be an injury from the fight (she had a laceration above that eye) that started small and just deteriorated or it could've been anything else that might have scratched her eyeball.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh Maddie. I know she sinned terribly but I also know you didn’t wipe away and cancel years of loving her. I am sorry that this happened. Yes, you knew this day was coming, but not today. Not today when the wounds are still fresh from losing Gracie. I am so sorry. Sending social distancing, online, great big hugs.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I also know you didn’t wipe away and cancel years of loving her
So true. I had forgiven her and had been giving her extra love/attention lately because she just seemed "off" since the fight. You can't hold a grudge and blame a dog for being a dog... She was an integral part of our life and our farm for a very long time. I'll miss her.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
always hard to lose both family and companions that they are. so sorry for the losses and the sadness. i was, however, worried that much worse was to come so i'm somewhat relieved that nothing else bad happened before they could go in peace. nothing ever replaces a long-life-shared-with pet like that. i hope you can cherish the memories and forgive the hurts.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Very sad to hear this @frustratedearthmother It's really sad when old dogs start getting confused and aggressive. Reminds me of a dog I used to groom. Sweetest thing on 4 legs for many years, just a joy to groom. She was getting more unsteady and feeble over the years. One day she was just not right. She was having trouble standing up, but she was confused and aggressive (for the first time). I told her owner, of course. She deteriorated rapidly (behaviorally, snapping at her owner!) and was euthanized within a week. The euthanasia was difficult and emotional. (DH did it.) He is rarely (like never, ever) emotionally affected by euthanasia, but that one was hard for him too. So sad. She was such a great dog, she must have been so stressed and confused at the end. :(

I'm excited for your puppy! I hope he is an excellent representation of the breed - he has big paws to fill.