Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here we go again! As if the nearly 5 inches of rain we got the other day wasn't enough - Tropical Depression #8 is headed our way. May (or may not) go a little west of s near Matagorda Bay or it might come right at us. They've predicted that it may be a slow moving system and could possibly dump 14 - 15 inches "somewhere." I tend to not really believe the worst case scenario so maybe it won't do that. Earlier today they said 4 - 5 inches. Weather folks tend to be drama queens when it comes to predicting storms, lol. Sure glad I got that big ol' generator a while back. Would sure be gladder if it was hooked up to my breaker box. I think my DS will be busy Friday when he's off hooking it all up for us.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Please feel free to share the rain with me. We got 1/8" yesterday and 1/8" Tuesday. I would be thrilled to have 4 or 5" of rain. At least i didn't have to water the garden yesterday.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Please feel free to share the rain with me.

I would gladly send some rain your way. Lemme see what I can do, lol.

Headed to town this morning for errands. Started to make a list of hurricane supplies to pick up - but guess what - I don't really need much of anything. Beer, brownie mix and will fill up all the gas cans. Dat's all folks, lol!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hurricane supplies are not complete without brownies and alcohol. You are ready now!

We had to go to Livingston today, stopped in Lufkin on the way back. A lady was filling gas cans, I counted 12 of them! That’s a lot of gas. Lufkin is within the circle of the storm, on the edges, but possibly she was stocking up for a generator. Either that or a gas guzzling tractor. LOL

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Picked up some more chicken to can while I was out today. HEB had leg/thigh quarters for .99 and breasts for 1.00. We don't eat a lot of breast but I picked up a package anyway. I do enjoy breast meat for making chicken salad. I'll work on that tomorrow probably - while it rains, lol.

Wormed a few does. Nubians as opposed to the Kiko crosses. I'll be moving some more of the Nubians out after they wean their kids and gain a little condition.

DH's neuropathy in his legs and feet has been giving him fits the last couple days. Poor guy - he's just miserable.

Made an appt today to take my truck in for oil change and tire rotation before our trip to Arkansas. There's also a recall on my tailgate latch. I am so GLAD about that. There are times when it simply will NOT open unless I lock and unlock it several times along with kicking it, jumping up and down on my left foot while chanting Gaelic poetry. It gets a little old....

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Truly sorry for you getting all that rain; especially with so much more in the forecast. Sometimes you would give your eye teeth to be able to send some to someone needing it, or to feel like it would be nice if someone 10 miles up the road would share their over abundant deluges with you.... Hope that you do manage to not get all that from the storm coming. We sure would like a little more of what we finally got last night and today. It has been skirting us, 5-10 miles north or around and heading east, for the past week

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had been in a really dry spell so we needed "some" rain. But 5 inches the other day with probably at least that much coming again....sigh. This is the time of year I don't enjoy being a farmer. I'll take cold weather over mud any day. Of course, it helps that our cold isn't anything like the cold other folks get, lol.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Your cold is wet cold. And you get more mud! With black gumbo clay, that stuff sticks to your boots, your boots get bigger with every step. The real fun is when the goop sucks your boot off and you are doing a balancing/sinking act standing on one foot, trying not to stick your sock in the mud while desperately aiming for your stuck boot.

I hope we get some of the rain from the tropical storm that is supposed to turn into a hurricane. We have rain forecasted in the 30% to 40% range.