Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm like ya'll "feast or famine". Right now, I really need about 3" and I'd like it slow and over an entire day, please. ;) Just a gooood soaking.

We've gotten a couple sprinkles here, that's it. It's hit & miss as 10 miles out they got an inch. :idunno The bands of clouds this afternoon did bring in some stronger winds and that plus the overcast cooled things about 15 degrees. Appreciated! They say we (VA) will probably see this as the hottest July on record in some 40-50 yrs? Hit or broke records 4 days in a row in past week with over 100 temps. Add another 14 days of 96+ and no rain....we are parched! Extremely unusual for here.

Of course -- my yard needs mowing :he :idunno:tho_O "Here, goatie, goatie" :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Been a breezy day so far - not much rain so I'm pleased about that. DH was going to try to mow before the rain gets here and the lawnmower battery is dead, dead, dead. So, he's off to WM to try and grab another one. Ugh - hate going out these days.

I stayed pretty busy today. I've been canning chicken that I bought on sale yesterday. While that was processing I made a sugar free cheesecake. Yum! And in between I copper bloused the goats and gave Toltrazuril (coccidia prevention) to the last batch of babies. I still need to worm some of the does again also. It's been so dry that the goats have been on auto-pilot for several months. But, all this rain sure wakes up the parasites...sigh.

Here it is - not even August and I reek of buck. The rut has started...geese louise! Seems to get earlier every year around here. Might breed some of the does for early babies. Our "winter" isn't hard enough to worry about any freezing babies for sure, lol. Might get some growthy babies that will be ready for early sales. Or not...haven't even decided who will get bred this year. Maybe one Nubian. Hope to have no more than one Nubian left by then.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Have you realized that you did not even mention breeding for Spring Break Kids?? :D
Truth! Don't have to worry about that anymore!

I've been busy today. Canned 11 quarts of chicken legs/thighs. Made a sugar free cheesecake. Wormed some does, copper bloused every body and gave some babies toltrazuril for coccidia prevention.

Tropical Storm Hanna made it a bit windy so it was tolerable outside. I sure get more done when it's cooler.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm hoping they still have a goat auction for 8/8 -- gonna check. I have a doz bucklings ready! Plus I think I'll cull a few yearling does. Cut back a few. Right now, less will be better....you know how those numbers just creep up on you. o_O :D Several ethnic holidays in Sept, makes for good sales.

Breeding isn't on my mind right now.....well, plans anyway. :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad that hurricane Hanna is quite a distance from us- but we’re still catching some of the outer bands of wind and rain.

505B8754-84A1-4EED-B47E-C9A08FFFF6A3.png

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome to slopville, lol. My prima donna goats refuse to even go out of the barn to get their feet wet....sigh. I'm carrying hay to them twice a day but it would sure help me fi they would help themelves!

I've got enough milk in my fridge to last until we get back from our trip next weekend so I'm using the opportunity to worm Luna and get her turned back out to the pasture in preps for breeding this fall. She's in great shape for having milked for four months. Also worming Lucy so that when we get back I'll bring her up, wean her buckling and start milking her. I shouldn't be - but I am - looking forward to a milking break even if it is only for a week.

I've been turning the does into the garden area and hoping they'll be selective about what they eat, lol. But so far they've left the okra alone and that's all I have in that area that I want them to ignore. I've started some new tomato plants from some of the old ones and hope the bugs won't be as bad for fall tomatoes. :fl