Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I looooove coffee... I need one more cup.

Ya know - I've had goats for 20+ years and I learned something yesterday. I was moving some reluctant bucks around and discovered that even the wild ones that were never taught to lead will lead pretty darn well with a sheep halter instead of just a collar around their necks. With a collar they can plant their feet and plow furrows before taking a step. With a halter, they've gotta follow their head - so if they get stuborn I can kinda pull 'em sideways and they've gotta move. It's cool - guess you CAN teach an old gal new tricks - not to mention teaching goats too! Small things make me happy, lol.

We're supposed to get rain for the next couple days so I need to concentrate on getting 'stuff' done outside today. I had this brilliant idea last night to turn my livestock trailer (that hasn't been pulled in 2+ years) into a chicken coop. I've got some chicken pens closer to the house that have certain select breeds of chickens in 'em.... BUT... I've been turning some of the other birds into the back pasture to free roam. That's okay for them, but they tend to lay any and everywhere and I never get their eggs - the dog howerver - does! I can take my trailer and block the doors where the dog can't get in but the chickens can - set up some nest boxes in there and a feeder and by golly - I think it'll work. That's going to be my focus for today.

Gotta get to it...

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I was thinking about picking up an old trailer to turn into a chicken coop. I just have to find the cash for the trailer.
Good luck getting everything done before the rains come!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, chicken resort is finished! (such as it is...) They now have a place in the pasture where they can escape the goats, geese, horses and the dog. They can go in there and eat unmolested and lay eggs where the dog can't scarf them up!

AND - I've got the four wethers sold. Woo hoo for the lower feed bill! I negotiated down on the price a good bit - but they're all going to the same person and they're all going at one time. I know the guy who's getting 'em and he'll treat 'em well - until he resells 'em, lol. He's kind of a 'trader' but he takes good care of his animals.

DH and I are still talking about buying a truck. I WANT one, but I'm trying so hard to resist.

Pros: It'll make my life easier. I won't have to hook up the little trailer every time I want to haul something. I won't have to put animals in my car anymore, lol. It'll be new and under warranty.

Cons: Lower gas mileage and a monthly payment.

Considerations: My car is a hybrid and will need work in the next year or so. Dealership already told me I will need a new timing belt and water pump ($700 +) within the next year and work on the brakes too. If the main batteries go out on a hybrid it is BIG money to replace them. To the tune of about 3K. My car is 7 years old already and I know it won't last me forever. I've got about 6 years before I retire and I don't want to be making a car payment AFTER retirement so this would be the best time to do it IF I'm going to....

ARGHHHHH - I'm terrible at making decisions so maybe I won't make one at all... just keep things the way they are, lol.

HELP! Ideas, input?

Being lazy this morning so I better go get busy!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh gee whiz... you folks were absolutely NO help in this decision making process, lol. So, now I've got a truck payment.... but I've also got a shiny new toy with more bells and whistles than I'll ever be able to figger out....YaY

Got a good price and 1.6% finance charge - I'm pretty much ok with it.

Guess I better go read the owners manual - I've never actually done that with a new car before...but I gotta figger this beast out!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
You didn't give me time to help, but I would have been no help anyway. I would have said go for the truck.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay! Two minds that think alike at least! Three counting DH.

Now that I took the plunge - I feel really good about it. It was the last new 2013 on the lot and I got an INCREDIBLE deal on it and really low interest. When you walk up and the salesman tells you that his manager said to "get rid of it" you kinda know things are gonna work out in your favor!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's been a pretty 'yay' day! Looked out in my driveway and was pleasantly surprised to see that I didn't just dream that I bought a new truck, lol.

AND - another 'yay' cuz I made a little money and got 4 less mouths to feed at the same time. The four weathers moved away today and the guy wants to come back after the holidays and get a buck and two does. Woo hoo! More money and less mouths - there's just nothing wrong with that.

Woke up too stinkin' early and what's worse - I even got outta bed. I don't really enjoy wrapping gifts, so I tackled it first thing this morning and got most of it outta the way. Glad to have most of that done.

Tomorrow will be used for getting ready to head out of town. We're coming home on Thursday with at least two grandkids in tow....AND that same day my M-I-L will be coming to stay for a few days. Whew - guess I'll be doing a little more cleaning tomorrow along with packing, getting the critters ready to be alone for a couple days and getting myself and DH ready to be gone for a couple days. Good times!

My tummy is rumbling and DH is grumbling - gotta go find some food!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We made it to DD's house and had a fabulous dinner totally cooked by the S-I-L....beef tenderloin (perfectly cooked), baked fettuccine, green beans, honey wheat rolls and honey butter- dessert will be freshly bsked cookies and hot cocoa- yummy. Bringing home grand kids Thursday.

Merry Christmas y'all!!!!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Sounds like a great day. Merry Christmas.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Merry Christmas sis!!!! Sounds like you will be having a ton of fun with those grands :D I would have said go for the truck too. I'll never be without one again if i can help it for as long as we have any kind of animals or do the kind of work we usually do! Our truck has paid for itself just in little side jobs 3 times over. Sounds like a fairly good deal too ;)