Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Made it home...not fond of that drive AT ALL! But we've got the grandkiddos and the Mother in Law with us for a few days. Good times! It has been a wonderful Christmas season. We were so blessed this year. DH got me a beautiful new watch that he shouldn't have.... but hey....if he felt obligated to get it for me - I feel obligated to wear it! :)

The truck did great on the trip - well - except I'm accustomed to the MPG's that I got from my hybrid....ahem...not the seriously LOW mileage I get from this truck. But, it did nothing but improve the further we drove so I think there might be some improvement before it levels out.

We've ordered floor mats for it, planning on a spray in liner, and a tonneau cover - and then I'm finished spending money for awhile, lol.

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I'm looking forward to finishing out the year and starting a new one! Call me optimistic... :celebrate

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Dittos on that! I am sooooo looking forward to 2014!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Whew! These 2 grands are keeping me hopping. They are safely tucked in bed now and I'm beginning to recuperate from another day with the kiddos! I looooove, loooove, loooove having them in the house! But, my life is crazy busy already. The good thing is that they sleep! When their little heads hit the pillow around 8:30 they are out, totally out, for at least 10 hours and sometimes more! My GS told me tonight, as I tucked him in, that a farm is 'hard work' ! Yep, little feller - it sure is, lol! And, bless their hearts - try as they might - they don't subtract fromt he burden. Their little faces and hands are into everything - trying to help. I try to stand back and let 'em go at it. They love having 'responsibility'. They are responsible for gathering eggs, (getting them to the house safely is a whole nother story though!), feeding the chickens and filling up water buckets. They're pretty good at it too.

We have baby quail, but we also had a great tragedy. Somehow - who knows what happened but the waterer got spilled in the brooder. For the first couple days I only use paper towels on the floor of the brooder and I scatter their food on it. So, when the water spilled it soaked the entire bottom of the brooder and teency, tiny baby quail do NOT do well in water. When I found 'em at least 60 babies were laid OUT...trying to die just cuz they were wet....and cold. Dang, I could not move fast enough. I was yanking them out of the brooder as fast as I could. I moved their light and grabbed another one and stuck it in the new brooder to try and heat things up. It took a couple of hours to get them dry and comfortable again. Lost prolly 10 or so.... and feel horrible about it.....geeze.

Tomorrow me and the little ones will head into town and see what the insurance company wants with all those papers they sent me so I could sign 'em. They are due tomorrow and I haven't even looked at 'em. Sigh....

My former student "A" is home for the Christmas break. He came by and worked for me Friday. I was so glad to see him! He's gonna work for me another couple days before he heads back to school for the Spring semester. He's recovering nicely from the ACL surgery. I had to laugh at him though - cuz even though he works out daily and resembles a budding body builder with all his muscles - he says farm work still kicks his rear!

And, my rear feels pretty kicked too so I'm gonna head to the bed pretty soon myself.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
YAY A is back! Double YAY grands are having fun :D Get some rest lady! Glad you're having a good week, and nice save on those quail. It could have been MUCH worse than 10 lost! Those things try to die from the moment they hatch on..crazy birds!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Whooopped, whooopped, whooopped! Me and the grandkiddos got up fairly early and ran to town to do a whole list of errands. Went by the insurance company - gave them their yearly allowance, lol. Then feedstore, grocery store, phone store, and stopped on the way home and picked up A and his brother C. Also brought A's lady friend along. The guys were working on a fencing project and she, being from Michigan, thought she could stay out in the cold with them all day. NOT! So, she came inside and spent the rest of the day with me and the kids. Worked out pretty well cuz she kept the kids entertained and I got a lot of stuff done. I had a turkey thawed out so I parted it out and cooked a big o'l pot of soup, a batch of stock and roasted up the breast. Then I even had time to make a chocolate cake.

I totally forgot how much teenage boys can eat. We had seven at the table for dinner and we musta put away a couple gallons of soup and an entire chocolate cake! Those boys amaze me! And, in the spirit of things - grand son nearly kept up with 'em in the eating department. Took them home and now we're sitting around watching the Longhorns playing mediocre football. Maybe they'll rally in the second half. :fl :fl

Gonna put my feet up and sip a glass of red before I turn in. Tomorrow is the last full day with the kiddos and I've promised lots of fun things....hope I have enough energy to keep up with 'em, lol!!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Maybe you shoulda ate that cake sis having to keep up with the kiddos adventures tomorrow ;) Sounds like a good day, and yes teenage boys can eat. DD's bf put away enough for 3 people the other day, and he's skinny as a rail!!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I coulda definitely used a sugar high, lol. I managed to get a tiny sliver of it before it disappeared. Might have to do an encore tomorrow!