Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Come on down!

Tomorrow is going to be the last day of indulgence for awhile. Red Velvet pancakes for breakfast.... after that... who knows? Gonna take the kiddos to "fun jump" to burn off some energy...might buy the granddaughter a new coat since we busted the zipper in hers today. AND, it's a white coat - who buys a 6 year old a white coat? LOL - my daughter that's who! She and I fought her entire childhood cuz she wanted white clothes alllll the time. On a farm? In the country? No, no, no....guess she's reliving her childhood dreams by buying HER kid white clothes. Life is a circle!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Other than t-shirts, I don't even wear white!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Me neither! I don't buy clothing for one time use and that is precisely what it would be!

Have fun with them sweet babies!!!!!!! :love

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hear ya - I own exactly NOTHING white! (except maybe some unnerwares, lol)

Got them sweet little granddarlins tucked in for their last night here...:( I'm gonna miss 'em. But, Ive been putting off everything that I intended to get done over the break....so I needa get busy! I've got 4 days to get it all done. Tomorrow will be mostly used up getting them back home.

Friday morning I'll be moving at least 3 more goats outta here! Hoo-ray for the lower feed bill. Brought all the does up tonight to see if anybody is in season. I'm selling a buck and I'd like to maybe breed a couple does to him before he moves away. Crazy thoughts, huh? I'm trying to reduce the herd...geeze!

We had a busy day today and I'm just plum tuckered out so gonna head outta here. Hope everyone has a great end to this year and a wonderful beginning to 2014!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wellllll, we made it! Happy 2014 ya'll!

Not gonna make any specific resolutions - just in general try to live a good life, be healthy and kind to others.

Hear the grands stirring upstairs - gotta spend time with 'em on their last day here!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Happy New Year Fem! Have fun with those sweet kiddos while you can and have a safe trip returning them!!!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ah, thanks, Sis!

Passed the kiddos off the yesterday and I miss them children already! Got a chance to see my DD's brand new (to her) Suburban. OMG - that's a whole lotta car...2 DVD players and all the "stuff'" you can think of... Her car had over 150k miles and due to a previous accident wouldn't hold an alignment and she was constantly having to replace tires - so....it made sense. THEN - her SO decided that they needed a truck too - so he's the proud new owner of a Nissan Frontier, lol. He had a great trade in so ended up financing less than 10K.

Poor DH - he's the only one still driving an old piecer car...his car had 131K on it and he drives sometimes 200+ miles a day. I felt so sorry for him, lol. Sooooo, on the way home from dropping off those kiddos we went right through the heart of downtown Houston - car lots EVERYWHERE.... and we just happened to stop at one of 'em - just to look, of course.

We did a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad thing! But, it was pre-owned, and it's a hybrid and it's the cutest little thing you ever saw and they had a wonderful sale for New Year's day. DH is now the proud owner of a new (to him) hybrid. Now - I've gotta say that I don't want to hear the words 'new car' for at least 10 more years! UGH...my savings account took a big fat hit and I want to let it recover now...a nice looong recovery.

I'll help the bank account a little bit tomorrow cuz at least 3 goats are going to another home. YEA! I neeeeeeds to cut down on mouths around here. This will get my goat herd down close to 20 or so, and that's pretty good. And, I'm gonna turn out a bunch more chickens so that they don't have to live on purely on purchased feed. Kinda rough this time of year, but it'll help more come spring. But, even free-ranging during the winter will help cut down on the feed bill somewhat. Chickens eat more than goats, I think, lol.

I'm on grocery shopping hiatus too. Pantry is well-stocked and I'm NOT buying nuttin' else for at least a month. Maybe more... Need to rotate the stock and this is the best way. AND, everytime a seed catalog comes in I'm drooling over all the fresh veggie pictures. I want my spring/summer garden right now!

Shouldn't complain though, cuz I've got tons of cabbage in the winter garden right now. Thank goodness I didn't plant more. I've got about 10 big heads of round cabbage (I don't 'member which variety) and another 6 or so kinda cone shaped cabbage, maybe 8 savoy cabbage and some kale, carrots, turnips, parsley and collards too. It's allll doing great! I've made Kimchi outta the Napa cabbage a couple times already, but I needa do something with the regular cabbage. I'll probably make some sauerkraut with some of it. Guess we better just get started eating it too.

Found a broody hen and kicked that crazy chick OFFA that nest. I do not want any more chickens right now....stoopid chicken. I even tossed al the eggs. I know, I know - cruel, huh?

Okie dokie - gotta get out there and shut off the water and get everybody ready for some winter tonight. I'm about over this winter stuff too!

Hope all of ya'll who are REALLY getting winter stay warm and dry!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Whoop!! Sold three more goats today and I think he's gonna come back and get another one. He told me he'd buy everything I had if I'd turn loose of 'em - he's tired of buying sickly goats and mine are "obviously much better quality than what he's been buying!" I like hearing that, lol.

I told him I think his problem is that he buys goats anywhere and everywhere and a lot of time brings home sick animals, while I pretty much keep a closed herd. And when I told him I don't ever take back a goat that's been around other goats, he kinda started thinking about it. It's too easy to buy someone elses problems and spread that problem to your own herd. I won't even accept back one of my own does for breeding if she's been around any other goats. It keeps my herd healthy - so I'm not planning on changing my ways anytime soon.

A couple of years ago when I was looking for Nubians, I found a woman who is as paranoid as I am, lol. She even sprayed my shoes with disinfectant when I went to look at her goats. The buckling kid that I got a few months ago was from some fellow breeders that I know are very cautious too. You just gotta be careful! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I hate to even say this out loud cuz I know a lot of ya'll are dealing with horrible weather right now - but, despite starting at 29 degrees this morning - we warmed up to the mid 50's and there's not a cloud in the sky. It's absolutely gorgemously beeyouteemous outside! I think I'm gonna go back outside and plant a lemon tree that's outgrown it's pot.

Ya'll stay warm!