Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are supposed to have a couple of nights in the 20's. I'll be gone for the weekend, so better cut off the outside faucets and drain them.
Not going. Going to rain and be cold. Not good weather for working outside. Stay home, pack boxes and can more chicken for the dogs.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've only made/had hogs head cheese once - and it actually wasn't me doing it. A friend of a friend found out we were butchering and he asked to help. He's a guy from LA who lived on a farm all his life until he got transferred to Houston. He was awesome! And the stuff was delicious! I'd fight the dogs for it, lol. He gave me a list of stuff to buy and he did most of the work. I did have to make sure he removed the eyeballs. I can get through a lot but I'm not eating a dang eyeball, lol! He might've been planning to all along - but he got a great laugh out of tossing them at me - yuck!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Worked outside all day except for making a quick feed run. Still didn't get everything done that I needed to. Had to stop and help DH with his chore. Didn't finish that one either! Geeze!

I only got 2.2 miles under my belt today. I had to stand still and do some significant shoveling. Also, moved ducks - again. I put them in a pen behind the red barn. That area is fenced with hog panels. They can't fit through the smaller holes on those panels, so I think they'll stay in there. I'd like to eventually have them in the pasture eating slugs and snails, but I'll leave them where they are until they settle in. Then it will just be a matter of opening the gate and they can wander the pasture and play in puddles.

While I was out at the barn I shoveled another cart of barn dirt. Spread it on another couple of rows in the garden and got cardboard covering that area. Put a little hay around the collards and chard. If it gets really cold I can layer some hay over them and they should be fine. No colder than we should get they'd probably be fine anyway.

I got some (more) seeds in the other day. Heck - didn't even remember that I'd ordered one tiny packet of colored cauliflower/broccoli seeds. Woo Hoo! I'll try to get them started soon. I've never grown cauliflower but broccoli generally does well here. I guess we'lll see what happens.

I need to either can some chicken tomorrow or get it in the freezer. I think I'll hold off on canning for now and utilize the nice weather. Eventually we'll get cold enough that I'll want to be inside slaving over a hot stove, lol.

Latest posts