Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I need to get pics of some of the more colorful ones! I have a couple with blue eyes too. Who knew that Kiko's can have blue eyes?! I am smitten and am definitely going to have to give serious thought to who stays and who goes.....sigh.
I'm so happy you are getting keepers out of your kikos crosses! You might just need to grow a few extra out or maybe just a couple babies to keep their genetics. No sense in creating a genetic bottleneck when you're getting varieties you like.

How is parasite resistance coming along in your kiko crosses?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Parasite resistance with the kiko's is soooooooooooo much better than the Nubians. Even the first-generation crosses are pretty awesome. With this batch of babies I have 75% Kiko. That is mainly why I will be keeping more - but also will be moving along some of the grown does that I'm not so fond of for various reasons. Time to start culling a little harder.

Genetic diversity shouldn't be an issue. These babies are direct offspring of Frankie (100% Kiko). They are grandkids of Conan (100% Kiko). Conan and Frankie are not related at all. I am a huge fan of line-breeding so some of that will happen, but I'm more excited to do some total outcrosses to the Myotonics and then back to Kiko. Can't forget Bossman too. He's Kinder and also very parasite resistant. That comes from his Pygmy side - definitely not the Nubian side, lol. I'm definitely going to have some crazy mixed up goats before long, lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Where do you think new breeds come from? :love
I've been saying for a while that I want to create the perfect new breed for ME!!! It would probably take longer than time I've got left to actually create a breed - but I'm having fun on the journey!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think it’s great! The dairy goat world could use some people committed to breeding for parasite resistance for sure. Can’t wait to see how the myotonics add in to the mix!