Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
It happened - the cold found us. The wind is worse than the cold! Thirty-five mph gusts. Moisture moving in this afternoon and if it hangs around long enough it might switch to sleet. Well, isn't that a fine howdy-do? :th

I don't like it so much. I'll suit up after my next cup of coffee and go out. Then I think I'll come inside and can something. Need to get some beans done. Probably do some black beans. I should probably thaw out some chicken leg quarters and get some of that done too. Always something!
:hugs that's cold even for me. 27 wind chill. The wind really sucks the warmth right out of your body.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Decided to change course today. Not spending much time outside today so decided to do something productive inside. Decided to work on getting some stuff canned. Need to top off the pantry. When I went looking for some canned beans the other day and I only had one jar left. :ep Unacceptable!

I have ham/bean soup in one pan on the stove along with the hambone simmering in another to make broth. I'll can it all up tomorrow along with more beans if I find time.

Almost time to go outside to feed. Ugh. I don't want to!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Decided to change course today. Not spending much time outside today so decided to do something productive inside. Decided to work on getting some stuff canned. Need to top off the pantry. When I went looking for some canned beans the other day and I only had one jar left. :ep Unacceptable!

I have ham/bean soup in one pan on the stove along with the hambone simmering in another to make broth. I'll can it all up tomorrow along with more beans if I find time.

Smells good from here!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score

I am ham and bean soup fatigued here..... 😀

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Weird I know - but this is the first time I've ever made ham and bean soup. Beans with a hambone - yes. But today is the first day for actual soup. It needs lots more flavor than what the recipe called for. I'll correct that tomorrow before I can it.

Not much else got done today and I'm ok with that.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ground is white here!! :idunno :( just barely. Tomorrow they say more, like 3" to 9". Noooo!! Don't want it. Don't need it. Don't like it. So messy to do chores! Haven't had a snow in over 5 yrs. At least I can stay home. 😂. New milker arrived today, guess I can check that over tomorrow. Maybe can the light red kidney beans....bake something.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ground is white here!!

No white stuff here, but, I'm okay with it! We were around 36 at wake up - all the way up to 37 now.

Today will be canning day. Bean soup, ham chunks and broth and anything else I might have room for in the canner. I'll be running several batches.

Started thinking about the need to disbud soon. Probably this weekend. ARGH - I hate it! Still haven't decided if I'll do all the doelings or just the ones I know I'm keeping. But what if I change my mind? What if I neeeeeed to keep more than I'm planning for? I'm so weak! I love ALL the babies...all the girls anyway.

My blackberry plants got delivered yesterday - YAY! Now I need to figure out here to plant them....boo. Maybe I can just heel them in until I figure it out.

Gotta suck down this last cup of coffee and get busy.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Weird I know - but this is the first time I've ever made ham and bean soup. Beans with a hambone - yes. But today is the first day for actual soup. It needs lots more flavor than what the recipe called for. I'll correct that tomorrow before I can it.

Not much else got done today and I'm ok with that.

i always cook the beans for a while first to make sure they're soft enough then i add the rest of the ingredients. i would not put the spices in canned beans because the heat degrades so many of them too much. instead i will spice whatever i'm making with the beans after they come back out of the can.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What’s not to love here?
C1F76FBC-79D0-4063-AEEB-4A12F5863B2E.jpeg