Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
While Sunday was beautiful - I can't say the same about Monday and today. Rained all day yesterday...all day. We'll get into the mid 70's tomorrow and then the Arctic cold front will hit us. Not going to be too bad here, south of Houston, but north and northwest of Houston will get more serious effects. Our low will be in the high 20's...unless the forecast changes again. Sigh...

Got all the kids a Toltrazuril treatment to prevent any coccidia problems. It was quite the achievement to catch 14 of those little darlings. But, it's done and with the muddy conditions we have now I feel a lot better about it. I don't need a coccidia outbreak in this many kids.

Picked up grain today and hit the grocery store for lots of veggies and healthy stuff. Had a big ol' salad for dinner with a few sauteed shrimp on top. It was really tasty!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Spent all day outside yesterday - makes sticking to the fast easier! Got a creep feed area set up for the kids and lots of hay stuffed into feeders so I wouldn't have to do it this morning. As soon as it stops raining I'll be doing the same thing all over again. Yuck-this weather!

I'm holding my breath and hoping that we don't lose power like last year. This system isn't as ferocious as the previous one was so I'm optimistic. I could use a couple more cans of gas for the generator but I've got a lot set by as it is. We also have a Mr. Buddy propane space heater that's safe for enclosed spaces so we can stay warm even if we don't want to run the generator.

It's definitely a comfort food kind of day so I'll look at putting something in the crock pot for dinner.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's cold wet and windy and I'm not going to whine about it anymore - at least not tonight. Had a few more things to do today that I didn't finish yesterday. I cut all my lettuce and then mulched the cute little lettuce stumps. Then I picked all the kumquats - 180ish of them. Yes, I counted, lol. But, I dropped a few and lost track. I wonder how much marmalade I can make from that?

My neighbors just texted me and asked if their chickens will be ok in this weather. I told her mine aren't getting any special treatment. Just their normal place in the normal barn. They texted back that they're putting their chickens in the garage. :hu

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Snowing and icing here again! I thought that was over yesterday! Noooo! I’ll be freezing my posterior off while packing trailer today. I’m officially tired of winter. I’ll have to boil water and go deal with frozen water buckets. I really don’t need this crap right now. Loading today, taking to Groveton tomorrow. Going to 15F tomorrow night.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Kumquats are about the size of a big grape or olive. I've seen pictures of bigger varieties - but mine aren't so big. They're kind of a PIA to prep for marmalade, but it's so good it's worth it. All 180ish of them fit in a medium sized mixing bowl. I started with a Folgers coffee container and overflowed it at around 150.

Snowing and icing here again! I thought that was over yesterday! Noooo! I’ll be freezing my posterior off while packing trailer today. I’m officially tired of winter.
I'm tired of it too! I'm procrastinating about going outside to feed. I'm not motivated to suit up and get out there just yet. Good thing there's lots and lots of hay available. Also a good thing that I've got lots and lots of coffee available!