Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Feeling like a whupped puppy tonight. I spent about 4 hours behind the tiller today. It was worth it though because I've got one of the garden areas pretty much ready to plant. Might need a little cosmetic repair to a crooked row here and there - but I can probably live with it. If the weather holds I'll get seeds in the ground before long! However, I did hear rumblings about another cold front...argh. I'm so over 'em. I need some nice warm soil, lots of sunshine and just the perfect amount of rain.

Right now I need a shower and a warm bed.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Going to try something new today - going to butcher a duck. Mainly doing it to reduce the population of males. We're a little lopsided at 7 males and 4 females. Have some extra roos too. Not just pig reduction but bird reduction too. Also down 8 goats in the past week and about to list a couple more. They need a few more weeks of mama time and a cocccidia prevention treatment before I let them go.

It's gonna be an outside day again. Might get rain tonight so I really do want to finish off that garden area. I want to convert at least one or two areas that I rowed up with the tiller into beds. Rows are fine for somethings - but bigger bed areas work better for others.

Need to do flea treatments for the dogs too. I hate fleas! But the dogs probably hate them more than I do, lol.

So much to do - so little time!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Duck is done and resting in the fridge. It was a weird butchering experience. I caught him and put him in a cage to rest for an hour or so. When I picked him up I was a little surprised that he wasn't any heavier than he was. Did the deed and dry plucked his breast. I originally intended to just breast him out and wanted that nice plump skin to stay on the breast. Got started and I told DH that he (the duck, lol) was skinny. He didn't have any fat on his breast so I switched tactics and peeled the skin back and filleted out the breast meat. There wasn't tons so I decided to go for the legs and thighs too. Then - what the heck let me get the heart, liver and gizzard. When I got the gizzard out I wondered why it was so different than a chicken gizzard because it felt like it had a bone in it, lol. When I got it out I found that it had a wire in the opening. No wonder he was skinny - he was having a hard time getting food through. Poor guy. But it's done and it wasn't as horrible as I expected it to be. Maybe do another one tomorrow since I have a better idea of how to do it now.

Still got lots to do....wait...that reminds me of a 'favorite saying.' Gotta go put it down while I'm thinking about it! :old

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Duck is done and resting in the fridge. It was a weird butchering experience. I caught him and put him in a cage to rest for an hour or so. When I picked him up I was a little surprised that he wasn't any heavier than he was. Did the deed and dry plucked his breast. I originally intended to just breast him out and wanted that nice plump skin to stay on the breast. Got started and I told DH that he (the duck, lol) was skinny. He didn't have any fat on his breast so I switched tactics and peeled the skin back and filleted out the breast meat. There wasn't tons so I decided to go for the legs and thighs too. Then - what the heck let me get the heart, liver and gizzard. When I got the gizzard out I wondered why it was so different than a chicken gizzard because it felt like it had a bone in it, lol. When I got it out I found that it had a wire in the opening. No wonder he was skinny - he was having a hard time getting food through. Poor guy. But it's done and it wasn't as horrible as I expected it to be. Maybe do another one tomorrow since I have a better idea of how to do it now.

Still got lots to do....wait...that reminds me of a 'favorite saying.' Gotta go put it down while I'm thinking about it! :old
Lucky duck - you picked the right one! 😕 but now butcher another to compare!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
but now butcher another to compare!

I will definitely do another one. That was one delicious duck! I sauteed some garlic in olive oil and butter and then pan-fried the breasts in that garlicy oil... and saved the garlic crunchies to sprinkle on some steamed asparagus. So. Darn. Delicious! I am a duck fan for sure! Can't wait to do another one. They've started laying so I'm definitely going to have to hatch some new ones.

Didn't do a whole lot else. Rain was threatening all day so I didn't start tilling the next area. That's ok - my body needs a break. Running that tiller over compacted ground beat me UP! I need a few days and tons of Motrin to recover.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One more duck down and another one penned and waiting for me. This was a much meatier duck than the one yesterday even though he was smaller overall. While I was butchering the duck I started thinking about chickens. I've got more chickens than I need and I'm definitely planning on harvesting the extra roo's - but started thinking that I don't need so many hens either. I've got ducks that are laying and quail that are laying - so why do I need a whole bunch of laying hens? I'm going to separate my ducks so that I can hatch a few more Khaki campbells for laying. Eventually I'll hatch some more Pekins for eating sooooo thinking that some chicken type birds will be harvested too. And a pig - gotta get at least one of them done this week. Maybe two. Geeze... I'm tired just thinking about it. But - I'm determined to lower the feed bill!

Finally got some rain overnight. We needed a tiny little bit to water the pasture. We got it so now we don't need any more for awhile.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You have raised pigs for so long, won't you miss them?

Duck is good. I raised a bunch of Pekins for the freezer once. They were terrible to pick!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I will miss them - but I can always buy some feeders. Even with the higher prices it's cheaper than feeding a bunch of pigs for a bunch of years, lol. I really need their pen space. I want to plant in there.

I had no idea I was going to like duck as much. It's delicious. We had duck legs last night cooked in the Instant Pot - wasn't my favorite compared to the breasts. Flavor was still good, but they were dry. Followed a recipe for cook time - but I think they were way overcooked.

Plucking wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. I didn't pluck the whole bird though - only plucked the breast so I could cut it out. Just plucking that much really wasn't bad. I was able to keep the skin attached to the breasts doing it that way. For the legs and thighs - I just skinned em. I was kind of surprised that the thighs and legs were so small. They were bigger on the Pekins - but on the other two ducks (Cayuga and some other black and white duck) they were tiny.

Last edited: