Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She is oddly marked...sure it's a girl??? šŸ˜ :idunno only boys get that. Except those dappled Nubs you had...they were cool.

Do you find the kids have a harder time finding the nipple on those with the larger, lower teats? Mine do!!

Those FFs with tighter everything not such an issue but ones I milk and have large capacity..whoa. So yesterday's kids are out of a 5 yo with huge bag. They tried to nurse higher up. Big kids, too. Suckled all over her whole bag. This morning I wasn't feeling they were getting the hang of a low rider, so get in there to assist. Anyway, the barn bottle babe slid in with me and latched on! :lol: Mom only smelled the one of hers I had and both got a belly full. Tonight I made her twins nurse while she got grain, to be sure they were truly nursing. Other guy. Well he had to wait on a bottle. She's got enough but, won't agree to visitors. šŸ¤· But I can milk it!! :old

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses - cool that your bottle baby got to sneak a meal! Mama's don't love to feed those that aren't theirs - but the babies sure don't mind snagging a meal anywhere they can!
She is oddly marked...sure it's a girl??? šŸ˜ :idunno only boys get that. Except those dappled Nubs you had...they were cool.
She is definitely a girl - at least by all outward appearances, lol. Her brother is cute too.

Ya know - these Kiko cross babies are awesome. You and I both noticed the size of that teat. I was sure I was going to have to milk it out so the babies could get a good latch. That little gal took about two minutes to figure it out and latched onto it just fine.

I can say this now that kidding season is over with. This has been the easiest, most stress free kidding season ever. Not one loss, not one problem. I've only done one coccidia preventive treatment with these kids. I generally do it at 3, 6 and 9 weeks. I did the one at three weeks but haven't done another - still no problems. (Where's some wood to knock on?) We did have some rain a couple days ago so a Toltrazuril treatment is in the plans - don't want to tempt fate!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Went to Houston's Oldest Farmers Market this morning. Mainly just wanted to see what it was all about, but I was on a mission to get onions - lots of onions. So, I did. Gonna finally get some caramelized and put away. Then I'll dehydrate a bunch - then I'll probably give a bunch away, lol.

I'm trying to learn how to use Mylar bags and oxygen absorbers. Thought it might be a good skill to learn. I mean - how hard can it be? Food in a bag, O2 absorber in bag and heat seal. :hu

Gonna have to get those new babies disbudded in the next couple of days. Probably sell the doeling, but neuter and keep the little guy for freezer fodder. :( (unless someone wants to force cash into my hands and carry him away). Happens sometimes, lol.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@baymule She really is cute! Wanna buy her? lol

Been selling a lot of babies and that's got me back into milking mode. Brought in a gallon of milk this morning. I'm only milking once a day - I don't have enough room to store milk if I did it twice a day! Guess it's time to make some cheese, and some pudding and some yogurt and whatever else I can think of. Guess I better check the expiration date on my cultures.

Garden is growing a great crop of .... weeds! That's what I get for tilling this year. Need to get mulching kicked into high gear.

Butchered a couple of drakes yesterday. That's got the duck numbers down where I need them - for now. Somehow eggs got into the incubator. :hu We've discovered that we really love duck. We had chicken fried duck breast last night. Wow - duck tastes good. The Pekins are a lot like a meat chicken - they're ready to butcher quickly - like 6ish weeks.