Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Plan for the day is to get a pig butchered this morning. Oh yay... Not terribly excited about it - but needs to be done. I always dread it but when it's over I'm usually thrilled that it wasn't as bad as expected. I need to get on it this morning so that I can till again before it rains - possibly this afternoon. Weather liars said it wasn't supposed to rain until tonight. I want to get the second garden area tilled again and rowed up before that happens. I've got a couple more spots in mind to put into use - like the pig pen - when it's empty. I've got lots of garden dreams this spring - who doesn't, lol.

After today I'll have one more pig to go. I counted yesterday and I've got 5 roosters free-ranging. Oops, make that six. There's one out in the big barn that just hangs out. He eats spilled goat feed and pig corn and doesn't bother anybody. He can stay. The others - not. They create hell and havoc with each other and with the hens so they'll be harvested. After that - two more ducks and I should be done butchering for awhile.

After that - I'll need to concentrate on the goats. Who stays? Who goes? Heck - I have no idea at this point.

DH picked up some beautiful organic sweet potatoes for me yesterday. I need to get those in water and try to get some slips to plant. So much to do - so little time. I need a twin, lol. I thought I might have the grands for spring break but it didn't work out this year. :(

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The plan for the day yesterday didn't work out. So - yesterday's plan became todays plan. One less pig to feed. I plan to can this pig or at least most of it. I have one more to go but the last thing I want to think about right now is butchering another one, lol. I need a few days to forget how much I dislike it.

Next on the list is to actually get the sweet potato slips started. Guess I better get to that instead of just talking about it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mostly finished dealing with the pig. The loins are in the freezer, the (uncured) hams are canned, and today I'll be grinding the shoulders and various other scraps. Glad to have that done, but still have one pig to go. I'm going to let her eat for a little bit longer and then she'll contribute to the food stores around here.

Still have one goat to kid. I probably should get out there and check on her. Storms might have encouraged her to get on with it. Ligaments were still there last night though and I can see her out of the window so not too worried.

I'm dragging this morning. Not much sleep last night with weather alarms going on all night. There was bad weather around us but we were spared except form some serious, but short-lived, rain this morning.

I'll probably list a couple of doelings this weekend. Time to start making tough choices. :( I really need Emily to kid before I make final cuts though! Argh - stubborn goat.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Absolutely gorgeous today! Clear blue skies, lotsa sunshine, and so far, not too much wind.

Emily should deliver today so that'll give me some insight into who stays and who goes. It would be simple if she'd just have bucklings cuz there's not much thought that goes into that. They will go.

Have 5 roos penned up that I hoped would sell. Doesn't look like that's gonna happen so I better get the knives sharpened. Two more drakes to go also. I'm kinda over killing and butchering but gotta get this done before I stop for the summer.

Had to re-plant some peppers for DH that didn't take the first time. Maybe had three or four sprout out of a dozen or so. Ugh! Last year's seed - but geeze - I would think they'd still be fine.

Need to get the crockpot out and render some lard.

Always something to be done...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses - buck year? Last year I had 24 kids - 21 bucklings, 2 does
This year I had 18 kids - 12 doelings, 6 bucklings. Decisions are tougher this year, lol.

Emily decided to get on with it and delivered two kids early this afternoon. One boy/one girl. I was a tiny bit concerned about who the sire was because Conan had escaped his enclosure and went a'courtin' last fall. Thankfully, I wrote down the date. There was a one day overlap where he coulda been the daddy - but these are 100% Frankie's kids. The buckling looks just like Frankie - and the doeling looks like two of the other Frankie babies.

I planted some golden turnips today. In the ground. In the garden!! Might, or might not be, too late for them but I planted 'em anyway. I up potted some tomatoes also. They have totally outgrown their little peat pellets so they graduated to a larger peat pot.

After re-planting peppers for DH today I decided to clean out the big pot that holds last years habanero plant. After pulling all the chickweed that was growing in there I discovered several spots where the plant has put out new growth. Yay! I thought it was a goner after a couple good freezes - but guess being on the south side of the house gave it a bit of protection.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@Mini Horses - buck year? Last year I had 24 kids - 21 bucklings, 2 does
This year I had 18 kids - 12 doelings, 6 bucklings. Decisions are tougher this year, lol.

Emily decided to get on with it and delivered two kids early this afternoon. One boy/one girl. I was a tiny bit concerned about who the sire was because Conan had escaped his enclosure and went a'courtin' last fall. Thankfully, I wrote down the date. There was a one day overlap where he coulda been the daddy - but these are 100% Frankie's kids. The buckling looks just like Frankie - and the doeling looks like two of the other Frankie babies.

I planted some golden turnips today. In the ground. In the garden!! Might, or might not be, too late for them but I planted 'em anyway. I up potted some tomatoes also. They have totally outgrown their little peat pellets so they graduated to a larger peat pot.

After re-planting peppers for DH today I decided to clean out the big pot that holds last years habanero plant. After pulling all the chickweed that was growing in there I discovered several spots where the plant has put out new growth. Yay! I thought it was a goner after a couple good freezes - but guess being on the south side of the house gave it a bit of protection.
I tested some plants last fall and was surprised that peppers are more frost hardy than tomatoes. Nice surprise to get a favorite plant back!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Love the kids born yesterday. I got pictures of the doeling just because her markings are so cute. I think I like it, lol.

Left side:
1648137123636.png

Right side:

1648137175867.png

Geeze - those came out big, lol!