Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hope you get some rains! :) sorry about the possible complications, but i'd think that rain would be more important now anyways... :)

we have some chance of rain for tonight but i never count it until it hits the ground.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Zero rain. :( It all stayed just north/west of us. ARGH! Sprinkler will be going again as soon as I finish this cup of coffee and head outside. Then I'll head out of here for a two hour drive to meet my daughter half-way and grab my grandson and one of his friends. They want to make some money so they'll be on chore duty for the rest of the week! Yay! Young healthy, strong bodies will come in handy around here.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
GS and his friend have been here for a few days now and there's no food let in my house. They've eaten through a couple years worth of stored food and are looking for more. Send help!!! I'm about to throw in the towel, lol!

They are so much fun! We did go to the GS's favorite Chinese Buffet and he ate no less than FIVE plates of food. Five! They were happy to see us leave, lol. He's 5'10ish and weighs maybe 150 lbs. His friend is almost as tall and doesn't even weigh 140. Two tall string beans with hollow legs, lol.

They're trying to earn money so they're detailing cars, mowing, weed whacking and just generally looking for anything else to do. We've had some rain so that's slowed down some of the chores that we had hoped to get done though. But, there's always something we can find for them to do.

Not are we only going to have zero food left - we won't have any cash left either! :lol:

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i remember those days when i could eat four Burger King Whoppers and still have my lunch pail to finish off or four plates of spaghetti and meatballs with garlic bread. now all-you-can-eat buffets aren't worth the money as i can barely finish a plate and a half.

enjoy them being there while you can as it is all too soon that they're off chasing partners and going to college and all that. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
but you won't have any work left either! Enjoy!

Definitely making a dent in the chore list. However, we're making sure to throw fun times in too so that it's not all work. The weather has forced a delay in some of the chores that are on the list. I don't expect that the list will be all done when they leave, but that's ok.

They got to watch come guinea keets hatch and GS got it on time lapse. It's pretty cool. One of the best perks of having GS here is that he's so electronically gifted. My phone is now paired with my truck again. For some reason it wasn't working and he fixed that for me. He got the Wii or was it the X-box hooked back up so they were able to play. I bought those game consoles for the grandkids some years ago so they were having fun playing "vintage" games, lol.

Today is the last full day they'll be here. I need to go see if there's any crumbs left in the pantry that I can create breakfast from, lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Grandson and his friend are workers! I took them back Sunday and miss them!

What they did:
detailed my truck
detailed DH's car
weed whacked (a lot)
mowed
changed a tractor tire
changed out the containers of hurricane water
picked up branches and 'stuff' in the goat pen
painted a good-sized area of new siding on the back of the house
painted a newly replaced piece of siding on the front of the house
cleaned out the feed trailer

Just washing/detailing my truck took them 4 hours! They worked until they got it right.

Added to the list is the things my grandson did without being asked. He helped feed every day, picked cucumbers in the garden, took out the trash, swept the floor, unloaded the dishwasher and made cookies! He got my phone paired with my truck again and hooked up the video games so he and his friend could play. Oh-and he says please, thank you and yes ma'am and no ma'am. He's ranked 6th in his class of over 700 students. He is an absolutely phenomenal young man!! (I'll try to stop gushing now)

We tried not to make it all work so - some of the fun stuff was going to see the new Jurassic Park movie, dinner at GS's favorite Chinese buffet restaurant and spending an afternoon/evening at my son's house. Son's house is almost as good as an amusement park. He has tons of 'toys' that the boys took advantage of like a golf cart, mini-bike, two scooters, a pool table, swimming pool and for the evenings entertainment - Karaoke.
Back to the regular grind for me now.