Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow. :eek: Nice job on your prepping! 2 valves and fittings for the other tank sounds like a good idea. Do you have a water bill or a well?

a well is a water bill too, just paid in larger chunks at a time. not counting electricity bill (if you're on the grid but that would then be a whole other chunk too). no escaping the fact that there really isn't such a thing as a free lunch.

rains are very much welcome and perhaps the closest to a free lunch a garden might ever have (there's some nutrients in rain water...).

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Unfortunately, because our well is so deep there aren't many manual pumps that can pull water from that depth. I've investigated several companies and we're right on the cusp of their maximum depth.

Not convinced that it's out of the question but need to actually speak with a company rep for more details.

another thing to consider is what your well might naturally do as there is sometimes some residual pressure and flow that comes up further than the full depth of the well (if the cap were removed to allow it).

i don't know what our well is like either in that regards but if i were looking into manual pumps that would be something i'd have to learn. along with the natural rate i could pump from that level without it dropping too far to get too far down. even at a few gallons per minute that can add up over a day...

I've considered putting in another shallow well that would be accessible by hand pump. Unlikely, but bears consideration.

We have water around us and the ability to filter it - but ugh.

*nods* the ditches on two sides of us run constantly, the water from one side is cloudy (the water is from drain tiled fields so there is some clay and nutrients in there i sure do not want to be drinking), the water from the other side is clear but has tannins in there and who knows what else from any surrounding farm fields where they've been spraying stuff on them for many years. i'd use the water to flush the toilets but that's about it.

our well had been leaking from the top for many years and i didn't care much because it wasn't much of a leak. eventually though we called the well people and he came out and inspected it and tightened up something down a bit and that stopped the leak. what however has happened since then is we had a few trees die back in that area because they were probably used to getting that extra moisture and we had a really dry and hot summer and i didn't even think of it being a potential problem. ah well... too late now... some might recover now that we've been getting some rains but it will look kinda beat up back there. alas, it didn't kill the trees i really would have liked for it to have done in. :( c'est la vie... :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
another thing to consider is what your well might naturally do as there is sometimes some residual pressure and flow that comes up further than the full depth of the well (if the cap were removed to allow it).
Yes - our well was drilled over 500ft....but the water level rose up to around the 350 ft level according to the guys who replaced the pump some years ago. Even the best (that I've found) hand pump for deep wells will only promise that they can pump from 325 ft.

With our drought I'm going to guess that the water level has probably dropped somewhat - but of course I have no proof.

I've got everything dug out and even enlarged the hole this morning to make the pipes more accessible during the repair process. As soon as DH is up and has showered I'll need to turn off the water at the main valve. Then I'll cut the pipe and valve out so DH can take the whole section to town to be sure and get the correct parts.

Thought I'd end up at Home depot, but DH reminded me that we have a wonderful locally owned hardware store in town that will literally put it all together for you, so you know it's right. Bring it home and glue it in - and VOILA! I'll be the one doing the dirty work so I'm sure there is a possibility that I could screw it up....but :fl:fl:fl:fl !!

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
perhaps too late, but if you have a main valve that works why put in another one instead of just replacing this borked stuff with a straight pipe?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
1665101451262.png

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Love the meme - but it's a big fat lie cuz I worked hard, lol! But - I did get it right the first time. Turning the water back on is just about the scariest thing I've ever done!

perhaps too late, but if you have a main valve that works why put in another one instead of just replacing this borked stuff with a straight pipe?
The shut off valve was originally installed to help with the rare freeze around here. I can shut that valve off and drain the lines and not have any more hassles for wwinter prep.

But, as time went on we discovered that if there is a leak on the other side of the valve, like what just happened, it allows us to shut that down and keep water running to the house.

All I've gotta say is "hug a plumber"!

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a well similar to you, depth and all....big generator. Have looked into a solar for just the well. Hmmm...ain't cheap! One day, maybe. I'm too high for a shallow well. I have some BIG water troughs, a couple of those 275 gal things and food grade drums for catch and dip. 😁. We think alike.

I have cut offs at house, at house to barn, another at barn for all underground elsewhere and one for upstairs, so I could drain all down if desired.

So far, so good. 😂

You did a fine repair!