Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It’s another humid hot day here. 91F degrees here and 93% humidity. Yesterday I dragged in after 7 PM, took a shower and collapsed in recliner with a bowl of cereal. I come in periodically to cool off and drink a couple glasses of ice water or iced tea. I need a swimming pool. I got a 300 gallon horse tank over at my son’s. Maybe when I have granddaughters this summer, we can hitch the trailer and go get it. I’d have to bail it out with a bucket, but it would be fun to play in for a week.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We're supposed to have a 60% chance of rain today and a high temp of 87. We could use a little moisture. Gotta get those hayfields growing! I haven't had anything grazing my pasture for months now. It's growing well. Eventually I'll start giving them a little bit of pasture time.

Almost had a disaster with the aquaponics set up. The hose that pumps the water from the fish tank to the grow bed got loose and was pumping water all over the porch. The water is supposed to recycle from the fish tank to grow bed and back to tank. My poor fish were about to be running on empty. Thankfully DH caught it when he was bringing in dog before we went to bed. I was scrambling outside in the dark to get water back in the tank. Fish were grateful - but we had one tragedy. The Plecostomus musta died of fear.... :(

Been spending way too much time on lawn mowing. My rider has thrown a belt - again. The deck is bad. It's old and has rust holes in it and the spindles are wiggly and won't hold the belt anymore. It also has an oil leak, a bad tire, and something else that causes the steering not to work well until it warms up. Probably needs some fluid or something. So - the writing is on the wall about needing another. So, DH says, "lets buy a battery powered push mower and I'll get lots of exercise using it." "Ok," I say - except for that little voice in the back of my head telling me this isn't the great idea that it sounds like on the surface. We get the (expensive) battery powered, self-propelled mower. It has variable speed so is good for slow walkers and fast walkers too. DH, who is full of great ideas but not so great at fulfilling those great ideas can't walk well enough, or fast enough, to walk behind this mower. Plus, it's heavy to turn around. How do I know? Because now - added to my list of never ending chores - is yard mowing. On the rider, when it's working wonderfully, it might take me an hour or 1.5 hours to do front, side and back yards and maybe an extra half hour to do the front barn-yard. Walking behind a mower...let's just say it takes considerably longer. Do I have that much time to spare? :he Great exercise though...sigh.

My poor bank account! Getting a new rider is moving up the list. New washer and dryer, new walk-behind mower, new car, new sheetrock, power sprayer, paint.... will it ever end? It will - one way or another, lol.

Gotta go take onions out of the dehydrator and start another batch. Anybody ever dehydrated carrots? I think I might try that as opposed to canning them. Maybe do a little of both.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He can't ride because the ground is lumpy and bumpy and it jostles him around too much.

Oh - we already got the battery powered walk behind. It's kind of nice not needing to worry about gas or oil. Don't have to yank my shoulder out of place to start it either. Those aspects are nice! DH not being able to get out and use it is not so nice. However, I put my 'mean mama' hat on and told him that he needs to start trying. Even if he can only make one round it's more than he can do now. His docs have told him, his PT therapists have told him, everyone we know who has had back problems have told him and I have told him - you have to MOVE!

There will be a new rider in our future. Soon! I can't continue at this pace or I'll be the one who goes down next.

About to load the dehydrator with another load of onions. Smells yummy around here, lol. After I get the onions done I'll pull carrots. My fave!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hub's friend who's been in construction all his life, starting having back problems at 70 yrs old. Cus he retired.......

He's back to working when he wants and his back is sooooo much better.

yes, backs are made to move, it's a big reason why i like gardening and why i dig (as little as possible, but i do most gardens here manually) as i like exercise that has meaning. swimming is the other form of exercise i really like but there's no places around here i want to swim in.