Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
that's a phrase we use around here quite often. usually as i'm starting up the day and creaking a bit. :)

I mighta stole it from you, lol.

However, I did rest today, lol. Don't feel too rusty yet. I took the day off and I only feel a little bit guilty for doing it. Managed to finish a book that I've been working on. Only work I did was to feed critters this morning and evening, unload 3 bags of feed and take some onions outta the dehydrator. That's it! I only got 1.7 miles today - less than 4K steps. Shameful, lol.

I needed it. I've been going nonstop and still felt like I wasn't making progress. Needed the mental health day as much as the physical rest. Woo hoo I'll get back to full speed tomorrow.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Accomplishment!!! :bow:bow:bow:bow
I need to use a different roller cover on the next wall. I need one for more of a rough surface to get in and around and over the texture. I have some - but I was using the one that came with the roller first.

Pulled a whole bunch of carrots. I've got most of them washed. I'll get 'em sliced, blanched and into the dehydrator next. I usually can 'em, but I'm going to try it this way now. Space saver!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dehydrated the first batch of carrots overnight. Checked 'em this morning and they are ready to come out. I used a food processor to slice 'em and I'm not thrilled, but they're crispy! I'd like them a little thicker, but I used the thickest cutting blade I have. I may end up slicing them by hand - ugh. I'd like them a tiny bit thicker than they are now. I also used the wrong blade on one batch...not paying attention. The slice blade and the grate blade are one and the same. Put it in one way for slicing - turn it over for grating. I managed to grate a whole bowl full before I noticed, lol. Hmmmm, carrot cake in my future? If I try to dehydrate those itty-bitty pieces they'll disappear!

It's supposed to rain from now until tomorrow evening. There's a chance of rain all week, but I think today/tomorrow are supposed to be the worst. Doesn't sound like good painting weather - but with the AC running I suppose it will dry? I dunno. I've got plenty of other things I can do if I decide not to paint. Laundry for one! I'm at least a couple of weeks behind. Good thing I've got lots of unmentionables, lol!

DH has PT today. I kind of hate for him to get out in this rainy mess, but he needs to go. They're going to start working on his strength. He's weak as a kitten. Have I been trying to get him to do some light weights? Yes. But, when PT decides that's what he needs then he's all about it. Sigh...

@baymule - I generally start them in the fall, but I also plant them in early spring too. Like early -maybe January/February - I guess technically that's winter, lol. Carrots never did well here in our clay until I started putting them in raised beds. I pulled some yesterday that were at least a foot long. I was a little shocked! I've dehydrated bags of frozen peas and carrots from the store previously and they rehydrate well.

Whew - the thunder is rumbling out there. Only off and on showers so far. Maybe it'll stay that way?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If your carrots were the thickness you wanted when sliced, remember they shrink as dried...swell at rehydrate. So maybe they're ok? If not, mandolin slice? Put the shredded on a cheesecloth or silicone sheet and dry!

I'm getting ready to slice apples to dehydrate 😁. Great snack. Can't wait for figs to ripen!!! :drool

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep, they definitely plump back up on rehydration! I cut the next batch by hand. I did a better job than the food processor, lol. I thought about the mandolin, but I didn't have a lot to do so me and the knife took care of it.

We've had over an inch of rain....1.39 last time I looked. Not raining right now but it's not finished with us. Radar shows a lot still out there with a nice counterclockwise spin. Wonder what that's about? Right now it's spinning around us and not over us - I'm ok with that!

Done with carrots until I pull some more.